Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First ever 'issue' with the bike - would love some electrical help (lights fuse)

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    What about the relays ?
    jay: got another pm from you and answered. what kenny said above. for $6 i'd try replacing the starter relay. with the burned wiring you mentioned before it might have affected that relay which carries the voltage from the starter button circuit as i mentioned before. bike not here in my shop so throwing darts at your problem but i'd try that. an amateurish way to trouble-shoot that relay is to remove it.....i'm talking the starter relay here....replace the blown fuse...turn bike on...red run switch to on....try starter button. if it now does NOT pop the fuse it's the relay and its circuit

Pulled them all - cleaned the contacts...reinstalled them. How do I check if they're good or not?

Where can I buy those relays?

Just saw Lunatic's post above...

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    Where can I buy those relays?

Just saw Lunatic's post above...
    any auto parts joint. take along old one and precisely match up. should say 20 amp embossed on top of same. they match up to most chrysler and ford a/c relays.

I'll report back...hopefully that's the culprit...

It's the relay and its circuit (I used the 'amateur' troubleshooting John outlined above).

Noone in town has the relay....tried all three stores this evening.

Going to be mid week next before I can get one here.

I got a couple ordered - I'll check back in next week (probably not until Thursday or so).

So - for google searches in the future, part numbers for auto parts stores that don't have a data base cross-referencing motorcycles:

Buell XB ignition and starter relay part number: MC2205 (different branding out there, e.g. BWD MC2205, SMP MC2205)

Harley Davidson part number for Buell XB ignition and starter relays: 31522-00B or 31522-00C

Hopefully putting it this way will help this thread to actually show up on searches for those terms, both from within the site and from google, simpliciter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    Pulled them all - cleaned the contacts...reinstalled them. How do I check if they're good or not?
    Just switch relays from different slots and see if it works.

Got two new ones coming...which will leave me a spare as well...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast