Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cylinder Bore Surface Finish

I just don't get why everyone waste their time on this guy?He doesn't LISTEN to any of you because he is a know it all. AZ you are right , this thing will never run right AGAIN! Will never in my life know why you ask questions and then dispute what people tell you. Lord knows John has tried to tell him. It's not a bird , it's not a plane, it's the BUELL DISPUTER!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    AZ, I see you left the pistons in the cylinder, did you then use a chemical to clean them or some mechanical device ? Also, why go through all of that with out installing new rings, along with the honing?

Inquiring minds would like to know ?
    My rings were fine, no excessive blow by, one of the heads needed some work, so decided to reseal the whole top end, which obviously meant the cylinders had to come off. Leaving the piston in the cylinders keeps the rings oriented correctly with where the are already worn in. And like I said earlier, a much more experienced Buell mechanic suggests not doing rings unless new cylinders are used or boring the original cylinders. Apparently the forces of these engines tend to oval out the cylinders more than most other engines, which the rings wear evenly into as the rings and cylinders wear together, and just throwing in round rings in an oval cylinder doesn't seal as well as using the original rings.

Whoops, double post...

Banned
    If out or roundness of cylinder bore is within specification it should be sealed good enough with new rings.

I see one issue in you cylinder cleaning method. It looks like you used scotch bright pads to remove the old gaskets and old gaskets marks from cylinder surface. The issue is you have to wash cylinder thoroughly after this because of those pads have abrasive material which is harder than steel. You did not disassemble this, so you was not able to clean parts good enough. Remained abrasive material from the pads will cause excessive wear of the engine and will damage cylinder and piston components. The engine processed such way will never run right again.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-26-2017 at 04:21 PM.

I want my high performance intake manifold flanges. Now.

I want a gallon of Seafoam so that I can get 1 mm of thick hard deposits on top of my jugs for a higher compression ratio.

AZmidget..... I want to play devil's advocate.... Out of curiosity, how did your pistons get all that carbon crud on there??

Banned
    Alright, the cylinders have been cleaned and it is time to inspect and to hone these bad boys. Any bets on what I'm about to found?

Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-26-2017 at 09:03 PM.

A bunch of non-existent "problems".

What do I win??

I think there real are problems, They are in the eye of the beholder.

What do I win ?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast