Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil

Engine Oil

Hi all,

I am getting ready to change the engine and primary/trans oil in my 2005 xb12r for the first time since I purchased it. It had just been changed before I bought it and I have only put ~350mi on it, but I would just feel better know it has been changed.

Has anybody run Valvoline VR-1 oil in their Buell? It comes in conventional or synthetic. What are the thoughts on conventional vs synthetic? Also, do I use the same oil in the primary as the engine? I have seen posts on this forum about using 20w-50 in the primary/transmission, but I have also seen posts that say not to use engine oil in the primary/transmission.

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-20W...ine+vr1+20w-50

or

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-20W...ine+vr1+20w-50

I am planning on using a wix filter (51394)

You are only going to get the same opinions on this thread you started, as the opinions on the threads you read already. Make a choice, you'll be fine either way.

My opinion:

Use a V-twin specific oil for the ambient temp range you ride at and "Nothing else matters"- James Hetfield

Other peoples opinions:

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...49617-Oil-Poll
    Last edited by Cooter; 11-28-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks guys! It looks like advance auto has the mobil1 20w50 synthetic in stock, so I will probably use that in the engine. Should I use the same fluid in the transmission?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by dtcohen View Post
    Thanks guys! It looks like advance auto has the mobil1 20w50 synthetic in stock, so I will probably use that in the engine. Should I use the same fluid in the transmission?
    it goes like this son: any automotive or cycle specific oil works just fine in the motor...which holds exactly 2.5 quarts with a filter change. to keep it simple if you're consistently riding at temps of 50 degrees or higher 20wt-50 works fine. conventional or synthetic makes no difference. buy what you can afford. a quality conventional like castrol works great. if you are going to subject your air-cooled motor to constant redline shift and extraordinarily high exhaust and operating temps then consider a synthetic.
    your XB filter is the same as any toyota yaris 1.5L motor oil filter. scion as well. do NOT buy chinese crap house brand filters. use quality like wix or hi-flo.
    now to your primary fluid. it holds 1 quart with a full drain. let it drain for an hour. use the same viscosity as the motor. here's where it gets tricky: the primary oil lubricates the primary chain....chain tensioner shoe....trans gears and bushings and bearings....clutch pack...and "mists" the clutch pack drive plates. the primary oil does NOT lubricate the clutch pack plates. it merely "mists" them to keep them cool. that is it. the primary oil ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST have a rating of JASO-MA. what does this mean? it means that oil is compatible with both motorcycle gear boxes AND wet clutches. i recommend amsoil 20wt-50 motorcycle oil. readily available...reasonably priced....works beautifully.
    lastly......the swingarm drain plug and primary case drain plug interchange as does the O-ring on each. replace the O-ring at each fluid change. it costs 20 cents each. i have them if you need a pair. DO NOT follow the service/owners manual info on torque settings for the plugs. THEY WILL STRIP. just clean the magnet....the threads...light coat of new oil on O-ring...install by hand....snug up with 5/8th socket mounted on a short handle 3/8th drive rachet.
    that's about all you need to know regarding XB fluids.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 11-29-2017 at 06:51 PM.

I did some more searching which led me to the web page for the mobil 1 oil. The website says "Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 engine oil is designed to help provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch common engine/transmission systems." I guess that answers my question. Once again, thanks for the help, gentlemen.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...motorcycle-oil

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by dtcohen View Post
    I did some more searching which led me to the web page for the mobil 1 oil. The website says "Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 engine oil is designed to help provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch common engine/transmission systems." I guess that answers my question. Once again, thanks for the help, gentlemen.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...motorcycle-oil
    read what i just left for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    it goes like this son: any automotive or cycle specific oil works just fine in the motor...which holds exactly 2.5 quarts with a filter change. to keep it simple if you're consistently riding at temps of 50 degrees or higher 20wt-50 works fine. conventional or synthetic makes no difference. buy what you can afford. a quality conventional like castrol works great. if you are going to subject your air-cooled motor to constant redline shift and extraordinarily high exhaust and operating temps then consider a synthetic.
    your XB filter is the same as any toyota yaris 1.5L motor oil filter. scion as well. do NOT buy chinese crap house brand filters. use quality like wix or hi-flo.
    now to your primary fluid. it holds 1 quart with a full drain. let it drain for an hour. use the same viscosity as the motor. here's where it gets tricky: the primary oil lubricates the primary chain....chain tensioner shoe....trans gears and bushings and bearings....clutch pack...and "mists" the clutch pack drive plates. the primary oil does NOT lubricate the clutch pack plates. it merely "mists" them to keep them cool. that is it. the primary oil ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST have a rating of JASO-MA. what does this mean? it means that oil is compatible with both motorcycle gear boxes AND wet clutches. i recommend amsoil 20wt-50 motorcycle oil. readily available...reasonably priced....works beautifully.
    that's about all you need to know regarding XB fluids.
    Damn you're quick. Great info. Thanks. I ordered a wix filter. I have used wix filters on everything from Bulldozers to Mustangs to lawnmowers and have never had an issue. I will look into whether the mobil 1 meets the JASO-MA standard. If it doesn't I will get some amsoil.

Inactive
    I will look into whether the mobil 1 meets the JASO-MA standard.

yes sir. it does!

I am using Mobil 1 , mainly for accessibility. It is good stuff also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast