Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Oil

Banned
    I use Mobil1 V-Twin on my Buell more than 20000 miles and see no issues with it. Recently I inspected cylinder bores and pistons components and they are in superb condition. So Mobil 1 really works. No scuffs or scratches, all sizes are within acceptable limits, original hone marks are clearly presented.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 11-29-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    I will look into whether the mobil 1 meets the JASO-MA standard.

yes sir. it does!
    according to this it does not. It does say that it is "optimized for wet clutch performance" though. (This is not to say that it is not a good oil)
    https://www.mobil.com/english-us/pas...otorcycle-oils

Valvoline 4 stroke synthetic motorcycle oil does
    https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

and Lucas 4 stroke MC synthetic does
    https://lucasoil.com/products/motorc...otorcycle-oils

Banned
    By the way, I put same Mobil 1 in both holes and had no issues with it in transmission compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Sure does seem that way. I am certainly not trying to start any arguments, just trying to keep my Buell running for a long time. My initial questions have been answered. Valvoline VR-1 is not recommended for wet clutch applications (per valvoline's product information sheet) and it is ok to run the same oil in the engine and the trans.

It seems like Mobil 1, Valvoline MC oil, Lucas MC oil, and Amsoil MC oil are all acceptable. Thanks for the info.

ebr15.jpg

They are all good if keeps you riding, I love the fresh Calif winter air.
    They are all good some are better than others, just like the ladies in my life. LOL
    Last edited by Silverrider; 11-29-2017 at 09:26 PM.

I like VR-1 for my engine and Formula + for my primary.

Cheapo NAPA 15w50 Full synthetic in the engine and valvoline 20w50 mc oil in the primary is doing just fine. Been using the NAPA now for a number of bikes with no issues.

I see it all the time. Us bike guys are a funny bunch. Way too light an oil, a cheesy/cheap filter, with way too frequent oil changes. The same guy that won't buy nice tires, or ever do a valve adjust... will spend $24.99/qt for a pretty bottle every 1000 miles.

I don't subscribe to a brand of oil being much different than each other. If someone feels better spending a ton for oil, go ahead. Funny how that same guy will buy the cheapest china filter he can though... lol.

Opinion below!
    As long as it's V-twin specific, because high shear strength additives are very important for the big lump of metal swinging around and rattling in the cylinders, and the weight is appropriate for the ambient temp you ride in.

IMO 15w-50 is much too light, it's turns into the thickness of water at running temps. 20w-50 at a bare minimum unless your in Alaska!

I was using straight 60W (Buell recommended) when the ambient was over 80* in Florida. The bike ran much quieter than even the straight 50W before it at the same temps. Proof enough to me to follow the chart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12