Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to: clean and polish valve guide outside surface

Banned

How to: clean and polish valve guide outside surface

Today I'm going to show you how to clean and polish valve guide outside surface.

If your motorcycle has many miles and you want to replace valve seals you probably will not be able to do this easily. The valve seal likely will be sticked on the valve guide with no any chance to be removed by bare hand with no tools even manual says opposite.

Here is exhaust valve seal after 20000 miles

So after removing valves take pliers and carefully pull the metal part of the seal rocking and twisting it. It will likely came off without rubber part of the seal because of rubber deadly burned on the valve guide

Now take pliers and carefully massage the rubber all way around to brake rubber around valve guide. then take piece of wood or plastic tool and pry the rubber off. Do not use metal tool because you can scratch the valve guide.

Protect the valve guide hole from abrasive material. I sticked piece of cotton and covered it by round piece of masking tape.

Cut round piece of plastic sheet of film to cover the gasket base surface and protect it from rubbing.

Take heavy duty Scotch-bright green pad, spray some WD40 on it and rub off the rest of the rubber from the valve guide manually.

Now prepare 13/16 socket and extension for the socket

Cut piece of heavy duty Scotch-bright green pad so you can wrap the valve guide all way around

Wrap the pad with tape

Place the pad in the socket

Attach the socket with pad to the electric drill

Spray some WD40 on the pad and on the valve guide

Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-01-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Banned
    Attach the drill with socket and pad to the valve guide and sand it until you will see clean surface. Move the drill slightly in and out while it turns so it will not rub only one spot. Process such way until clean surface will be presented.

Now do the same with Scotch-bright non-scratch blue pad and metal polishing compound. Process polishing with drill and blue pad with metal polishing compound until the valve guide outside surface will look like mirror

Process all the guides same way. Wash the cylinder head in hot water with dishwasher and clean the valve guides holes with special brushes thoroughly to remove any abrasive material from the guides.

Dry the valve guide inside and outside with compressed air and oil them immediately all way around to prevent rusting. Now you should have good seal between valve seals and valve guide.

Inactive
    today i'm going to show you how to blow your nose.

Wow. Yer an idiot. The fact you had a hard time removing the seal showed it didn't leak there. Your seals are shot and possibly your guides. I've never seen such documented waste of time in my life.

Ytf do we need a new thread for each step of this circus?

Did you know:
    gutter.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Wow. Yer an idiot. The fact you had a hard time removing the seal showed it didn't leak there. Your seals are shot and possibly your guides. I've never seen such documented waste of time in my life.
    Probably it did not leak there, probably it leaked. It may stick not all way around and oil could find its way out. The fact is if you do not clean and finish that place properly your new gasket may leak. Also polished surface finish can help to not stick the new gasket so easily and next time you will remove it with less effort.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-01-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!WTF REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would really be nice if you showed people the right way to do things. It's NEVER going to end is it?
    Last edited by rchuff; 12-01-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    It would really be nice if you showed people the right way to do things.
    Could you please describe the right method to remove old valve gasket material from valve guide and clean it? It sounds like you know it. I would be interested in it. I have 3 more valve guides to clean and I would like to use the right way.

I found my method the fastest and the most accurate way to do it. I rubbed those valve guides with cloth and different chemicals, acetone, brake cleaner, aircraft remover, then scrubbed with plastic scraper, none of them was able to remove the old gasket and burned oil from this place.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Could you please describe the right method to remove old valve gasket material from valve guide and clean it? It sounds like you know it. I would be interested in it. I have 3 more valve guides to clean and I would like to use the right way.

I found my method the fastest and the most accurate way to do it. I rubbed those valve guides with cloth and different chemicals, acetone, brake cleaner, aircraft remover, then scrubbed with plastic scraper, none of them was able to remove the old gasket and burned oil from this place.
    See it really doesn't matter to you because you wouldn't listen anyway!!!!!! Your method is the fastest and most accurate!!!! Lol!!!!!!!!!! what a joke you are!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast