Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to: clean and polish valve guide outside surface

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    See it really doesn't matter to you because you wouldn't listen anyway!!!!!! Your method is the fastest and most accurate!!!! Lol!!!!!!!!!! what a joke you are!!!!!!
    If your method if better or more suitable I see no reason to not use it. But I do not know your method yet.

So don't be shy, go ahead and share your way cleaning valve seal mating surface, do not be scared, I'm not gonna laugh on you if you will say something stupid, because of you already said so many stupid things. And if I will have decided your way suites better for me, I will use it, if not, that's OK, someone else here will take you opinion on this work.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-01-2017 at 07:07 PM.

WOW, an actual reaction !

Baby steps.

Banned
    I just hope this will force him to say something smart regarding the topic. Do you think we have a hope? )
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-01-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Silence, and crickets to you!!!!! Would rather help someone that will listen. You have wasted my time and other peoples time in trying to help. Your way is much faster. Lol!

IMG_20171201_155755556.jpg Since you think I know nothing here is a pic of what I work on and other pieces of big equipment and engines.If you don't believe ask John or Wally aka wickedchop. Just to let you know it is a 88 Mack Econodyne R688.
    Last edited by rchuff; 12-01-2017 at 10:58 PM.

Banned
    OK, I believe you.

Banned
    Alright, all the valve guides gasket mating surfaces have been cleaned and polished! Now it is time to lap the valves for perfect seal.

Sorry, but that was really directed at you tpehak.

Banned
    Just walnut shell blasted the cylinder heads and the valves.

Cylinder head after aircraft remover before walnut shell brasting

Blasting in progress

Cylinder head after blasting

Intake valve after aircraft remover + Berryman chemtool sessions before walnut shell blasting

Intake valve after walnut shell blasting

Valves are ready for lapping

Banned
    OK, the valves guides have been honed with 240 anf 320 grit 7 mm hones

And thoroughly cleaned

Then I inspected valves stems to valves guides clearance

And here are measuring results.

All the clearances are within limit. Here are specs for reference

Since tool for reconditioning the valve chamfer is unreasonably expensive and the valves look OK I decided just lap them

The interesting thing I found is intake valve chamfer has no pit holes and intake valve seat has pit holes, but exhaust valve seat has no pit holes and exhaust valve chamfer has pit holes.

After some grinding there are still pit-holes on the intake valve seat surface.

So I decides just grind them more until most of pit holes have disappeared on valves and valves seats. There are still some small holes here and there on the valves seats, but I decided to not goo too deep, especially the valve seat sealing face is already bigger than factory recommended

Inspected the seat with Prussian Blue and layout fluid

Sits look good for all the valves

Now the sealing faces width is slightly bigger than factory spec and closer to the outside edge of the valve. So I have to narrow the seal face width down and reduce seal face diameter on the valves seats. Ordered 31 deg and 60 deg valves seats chamfers cutters 1-3/4" diameter and 7.02mm pilot rod with cutters wrench here http://www.cylinderheadsupply.com/1nestsecubo1.html to bring the sealing faces sizes back to spec

But currently after lapping the valve seals look perfect and they are able to hold liquid with no any pressure on them

Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-09-2017 at 03:27 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast