Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever successfully removed paint from a cherry bomb airbox

here's some pix... gonna try to hit it with some 1000 and then polish.

IMG_20171217_121203829_HDR.jpg

any idea what the metal bits (almost look like watch batteries) on the inside are? looks like several others have fallen off...
    IMG_20171217_121149960.jpg

Looks like they are using them as spacers to firm it up on the air cleaner cover.???

Plugging holes ???? Once you get the paint on the top side, might tell more.

Maybe smuggling in watch batteries . LOL
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-17-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Perhaps metal to attach a magnetic tank bag to?

Oh, that's gotta be it, the tank bag idea

Don't start with 1000 grit, unless you like sanding for a few decades. With a layer of cheap paint to remove, I'd wet sand with 320 first really well and then it will be a quick job to go finer and finer until you can compound then polish. Trying to cheat will only cost you a ton of time and sandpaper.

Use the link I posted for you (post #4) for the easiest way to restore the finish.

I have some 220 and 400, but with the bit of the seat i stripped with brushing on lacquer thinner, i tested with fine paper. i was just cutting the haze the thinner made and i got away with 1000 and then rubbing compound (by hand) and it seemed to come out pretty good...

I have read that thread and went out and bought a buffer Not gonna burn my house down i promise.

Well, take pics if you do!

Jk Let us know how it turns out They are super pretty when they're nice.

Gasoline also works well at pulling off spray paint.

As for the "984" actuator cover, that piece is stock on 06-up XB9, just a beauty cover for the unused actuator mount. Really a nice foresight piece in the event an XB9 owner had or installed a translucent airbox cover.

You want pictures and I want advice on how to get this thing perfect, but wow what a difference a few hrs makes.

Threw on the Swansea Everton game on the DVR and got crackin with 600, then fell back to 220. Ideally i'd have used 400, but i didn't have any, nor any 800, so went 220-600-1000-1500-2000 and rubbing compound. (an aside, is there an easier way to attach pics from mobile, because i don't see one at all.... so i have to start a draft email on my phone, then use a laptop to download the draft attachments and upload... and half the time it doesn't want to upload the pix anyway?)

Starting state was this (i let the thinner sit too long; will stop when it just starts to crackle the paint next time, since there was a thumbprint and some brush marks in the plastic from it getting overly softened)
    S8yZdOW.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast