Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New XB12S owner, failed oil change, need help

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas; thank you all for the help and advice!

Question- The Loctite that I ordered finally arrived and I'm going to put the threaded part back into the motor tonight- does anyone know how much torque I should use? The last thing I want is to strip it!

In other fun news, while I was waiting for the parts to arrive I drained the oil from the primary unit. What I saw was shocking! White-milky cream came pouring out that I've never seen before. After some Googling, it seems that it's not that uncommon for a little water to get in, mix up and change colors. Looking at everything, I noticed there were no gaskets around the inspection port or the screws. I ordered a full gasket kit that I'll be installing tonight as well.

After I finish these projects up I'll be doing a full brake flush with new pads (and new rubber). I suspect I may need to install new rotors too since I noticed a slight "pulsing" feel on the test ride.

I haven't gotten to the catch-can clean up yet since it's filthy and I need to clean it to see how everything disassembles. I'll update on that one soon.

Also, here's a pic. Thanks!

Mike

01616_dPQB5LhvJI2_600x450.jpg

96 - 114 in lbs.

Please note that is INCH pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have never torqued a filter, I tighten it up then give it a little more . Only had one leak it was a Viper V 10 in the truck, I think the rubber was not in place correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by neilrl79 View Post
    96 - 114 in lbs.

Please note that is INCH pounds.
    Thank you so much!

Do you think it matters much if I use Loctite 271 instead of the blue 243? From what I can tell, the 271 is a higher strength which probably isn't a bad thing.

Thanks!

Last edited by GregoXB; 12-27-2017 at 04:45 PM.

IMO, I'd still use the 271 red loctite, and not the blue recommended in the manual
    I have new gaskets for the inspection cover and clutch adjustment cover if you'd like them PM me.

Flushing the brake fluid is a great idea. I think it's the most ignored service interval ever EBC HH pads work the best for me, PM Lunatic for those. He has rotors too and you can buy one if you wish, but a 'pulsing' on these is usually the brake mounting hardware to the front wheel needs cleaning or the pads need to be properly bedded. If you are going to remove the front brake hardware to clean it, I would HIGHLY recommend the EBR brake hardware upgrade kit. It mounts the rotor solidly to the front wheel and I liked the the upgrade very much.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...l-instructions

Just yesterday I picked up 2 containers of 271 red loctite, whats that tell ya .Yea I know I am very forgetful and can't find Sh*t LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Hi Grego,

Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking at the drain valve the other day and couldn't figure out how it operated. Do you think it's a twist-off style, or more like a pressure valve that I have to press down on one end? Such a noob question I know! haha.

Thank you

The bottom drain valve is a twist to close valve... All the way one way (I think counter-clockwise) will allow it to drain and all the way the other way (I think clockwise) will close it back up.

Banned
    You have to twist it all way down each fueling to drain liquid out the can and dispose the liquid properly. Autozone collects that stuff for free.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast