Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New XB12S owner, failed oil change, need help

X2 ^^^^ Just run it until the fan turns on. No need to idle for an hour

If theres that much sludge, consider removing the primary cover to clean it. It's easy.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I actually scream 'Murica bitches often. I would also shoot a baby seal with my ar15 . Would make a great seat cover. So soft and exotic. 😁
    ya know what josh? right there's another reason i'm one of your biggest fans!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by paladinew View Post
    Hey guys, quick question regarding the sludge in my primary unit. Since it's about -12 degrees here I'm not going to ride the bike to warm it up to temp. Do you think if I leave it idling for 45-60 minutes (with fresh oil) it will warm up enough to burn off the condensation? Or am I better off leaving it until spring at this point?

Thanks!
    i don't know if this is a joke or not....but the answer is NO!
    another answer is this: your "idling" suggestion is the single worst borderline catastrophic thing you could ever do to an XB.

Thanks John. Happy New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    i don't know if this is a joke or not....but the answer is NO!
    another answer is this: your "idling" suggestion is the single worst borderline catastrophic thing you could ever do to an XB.
    Hi, sorry I wasn't joking. Is idiling the bike to get it up to temp really that "catastrophic" for the motor? Why?

Thanks

'Idling to get up to temp' is fine (of course) and absolutely preferred especially in cold climates. Long stroke, heavy crank swinging V-twins do NOT like to be fired up cold and revved or loaded. Lots of shear strength trying to break down cold oil is not good. Be sure to use a viscosity that matches your ambient temp range. Not just 20w-50. In Florida straight 60w was recommended and performed flawlessly, for a snowy area, a lighter oil would be good. Check your manual and do what it says.

"idling for 45-60 minutes" extreme, and pointless. It only takes 5 or so to get hot enough to turn on the fan.

A idling motorcycle engine is barely producing enough oil flow or pressure, especially if it's worn. There is no airflow to keep temps in check, and the fan is only so good. It isn't cooling a radiator, it's just blowing air around....
    Obviously it's also a danger to have it running in the garage that long regardless if you open the door on a blisteringly cold day.

To your original question... If you are that worried about the sludge in the primary, just take it off and clean it (I would just use a rag and avoid copious amounts of brake cleaner). You can find a manual .pdf download at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com. It's easy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234