Thread: Anyone using GPR slip on exhaust?

Anyone using GPR slip on exhaust?

Does anyone more than myself have the Italian made GPR slip on exhaust on their
    XB? Not my own choice, it was on when I bought the bike. Thoughts on how it performs? My isn’t running great but I suspect that is due to a less succesful mapping by previous owner.

Bike is a XB12Ss 2009 with BUE2D ecm. If you have a succesful mapping with the GPR and could share it with me it would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum

As this is your first post I'll let you know this has been posted 1000X's before..... If you do a short search, it will net you the typical results of that being a poor and unsuccessful choice. On rare occasions it's been lucky. Are you feeling lucky? Well, punk? Are you? (Sorry, my Dirty Harry came out) lol.

Do you have any diagnostic tools? Are you familiar with motorcycle mechanics? If you aren't, you should take it to a V-twin shop and have it looked at.

If you are, (and posting your firmware version says you at least have access to tuning software) we can help you diagnose what's actually wrong with your Buell. It may actually be tuning and we can help you there too, but proper diagnosis will be faster, cheaper, and MUCH less frustrating for you and the strangers you just asked for help. You're welcome

What precisely is the bike doing when it "isn't running great"?
    Mileage?
    New to you?
    New problem?
    Any recent mods?
    Whats your girlfriend look like?
    Whats your current AFV?
    Have you messed with the tuning map or ECM parameters?

BUE2D is a very common firmware. The (probably custom) GPR can on the bike isn't. I would think a typical 'race tune' should be close enough to run well. If you insist on playing tuning roulette, check out Buelltooth.com for BUE2D maps and a .pdf service manual download.
    Note that those maps come from other peoples bikes and in that format you also get their ECM parameters. Make sure to set yours back to where you want them.
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-13-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks Cooter. Not looking for any trouble shooting help here, just want to hear if anyone has experience from actual comparison of the GPR vs other brands. I will sort out the mapping, but starting that process from a map that someone already worked on for this particular exhaust would be easier.

Ok. Good luck. I don't hear very often about someone putting that exact slip-on onto one of these bikes.

Like I said, I believe the EBR 'Race tune' is close enough. You can datalog and fiddle around to your hearts content after that

"As this is your first post I'll let you know this has been posted 1000X's before..... If you do a short search, it will net you the typical results of that being a poor and unsuccessful choice. On rare occasions it's been lucky. Are you feeling lucky? Well, punk? Are you? (Sorry, my Dirty Harry came out) lol."

As much as I agree with this. The age of this forum and the amount of topics that have been covered during that time make for quite a dead forum without questions being asked again.

Bjorne, if you aren't already aware, the best way to search this forum is to use google. Enter what your looking for and add buellxb.com It seems to be a lot more effective

Yes agree TyMcFly Your way of using Google is usually how I do it. This is actually my third Buell but having had only Harleys for a while my old account here was gone.

The italian made GPR brand seems fairly new. They sell dedicated Buell slip ons. Gives an ok quality impression. Can’t really find any reviews online from people using them on Buells though.

http://https://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/shop/brand/buell-exhausts/xb-12-2008--/Buell--2008-xb-12-exhaust-----gpe-carbonox
    Last edited by Bjorne666; 12-14-2017 at 07:26 PM.

I don't have any info on the GPR for you.There are a lot of opinions about the different exhaust choices for our XB's. The power gains/loss between them aren't anything that is going to be too noticeable. The torque curve might be slightly different, but it's not going to drastically change a 0-60 or 1/4 mile time. The sound differences seem to be the biggest difference. If you like the way the GPR sounds, do a TPS reset, maybe change out plugs/wires and flash a new fuel map onto the ECM. The previous few items are what I have noticed are the main culprits of our machines running poorly.

hey, did you ever get any help with your tuning of your gpr exhuast? i have that can on my xb9 and my afv is at 81.7!! i went with that can because i was a fan of how it looked, and i believe it sounds nice too!

GPR is a good exhaust, just not common in the US since there are numerous other manufacturers that make systems for the bikes domestically. The AFV is a good indicator of how far off the mapping is from what it should be for the exhaust. When I installed a Drummer SS on my BUE2D based XB12Ss I was seeing AFVs in the 75% range. Terrible performance at WOT and had a huge flat spot in the 4000-5000 RPM range. What it took was datalogging and tuning with TunerPro RT. Lock the AFVs at 100% and obtain some good datalogs, use the resulting EGO corrections to tune the map in the closed loop regions of the fuel map. Repeat at least 3 times until the AFVs are in the 95% or better range. Upgrading to the 2010 header with the dual O2 sensor bungs is a good option and easy to turn the front O2 sensor in BUE2D firmware. That will at least get the bike running pretty damn good with only a bit of tuning needed for WOT (open loop region).

I'm happy to share my bin file if that helps, it's a custom tuned BUE2D with the 2010 header, dual O2 enabled, baro sensor enabled, K&N air filter, and Drummer SS pipe. My rear AFVs are 99.9% and front AFV is 95.6%. Runs solid, no hole in the 4000-5000 RPM range, and WOT is scary enough (although not nearly as scary as the 1125CR ).

unfortunatly i have an xb9 with buezd firmware, but i do appreciate the help knowing that the maping is likely my issue, i have no stored or present codes and everything seems to be working normally, but i am going to replace my 02 sensor as the bike has 30k miles on it. its acting pretty similar to how you said yours was, i just installed the buelltooth and have requested the few maps they have for that firmware, so hopefully these will be a good starting point, then ill likely follow what you and the countless other topics on this have said about datalogging and using tuerpro or ecmspy etc to tighten it up

on another note i did have an issue with gpr and the header size, they sent me a euro header sized pipe though i specifically stated it was a us based xb, they were helpful and payed all shipping costs and did correct the issue though if anyone is thinking of the gpr exhaust