Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time reinitialized every time the bike fires up.

Time reinitialized every time the bike fires up.

Hello everyone.

I have a new problem with my 2005 XB9SX. I had my batterie on an optimate 6 charger out of the bike for a couple month. A couple days ago I had a chance to drive ! I put my battery back in the XB, plugged my heated gloves and fired the engine...
    Yes but, every time I start the engine, the time and trips are resseting . It never did that before.
    By the way when I turn off the bike and on again, the time is still OK. It is reseting when I start up the engine. Here is exactly what it does :
    I put the key in, turn it so I have the lights. (time and trip are OK at the time)
    I press the "start button", the engine is making noise, stops (time is reseting at this point), and then fires up.

Any idea ? The Optimate is telling me my battery is in perfect shape.
    Thanks y'all !

By the way, I am French and sorry for my English.

edit : There is no mod or anything on my bike. It is like a new one. Except 2 things : Heated gloves and left air intake like this one :
    Last edited by Niklos; 12-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Clean all of your grounds (sand paper or scotch-brite) and tighten everything back down.

Ok, I will try that. Thanks !

Inactive
    what dean said. and do this:
    remove battery. takes all of 5 minutes on a cityX. charge it and i mean really charge it with a real charger. steady 6 amps for 1/2 hour should do it. then and only then have it load tested by battery shop or auto parts store.
    if it test fine then charge it again....reinstall...trace both battery cables. both ends of each cable must be pristine and very tight. double check the ground cable to frame. that is a corrosion point.
    now try starting it again. if you still experience a dash unit reset then the battery is at fault and should be replaced. optimates like deltran battery tenders get confused. that's the best way i can explain it.

Just what these guys said and wait until the bike is running before you turn on the heaters. The extra drain of the gloves and the engine cranking is causing the voltage to drop below minimum and re-setting the gauge cluster as if you unplugged it.

If all that doesn't do it, get a new battery regardless of what the test shows.

How old is your battery? I know when the last 2 batteries went bad on my bike, it did the same thing. When the battery would reset the time/trip, it would still turn the bike over, but the starter would hesitate before starting. It would get worse and worse until it stopped turning over the bike without an overnight charge. A new battery fixed me right up.

Definitely have your battery load tested after fully charging as mentioned above. I use a cheap Harbor Freight battery test to do it. A multi-meter will test the voltage, but won't tell you the load that battery will hold when trying to start the bike. The big v-twin needs some decent amps to turn it over. So while the battery would still work on a smaller bike, it has trouble started the Buell.

The heat here in Arizona fries batteries, so I go through them fairly quickly. Riding every day helps, but they still don't last for years unless the bike is stored indoors. Outdoor parking kills batteries in the AZ summer, so it was worse when I lived in an apartment. Having a house with a garage makes things better, but the heat is still hard on batteries.

My battery is... Well, I don't know !
    I never changed it and I had the motocycle 3,5 years ago. So it is at least 4 years old. And it is not the HD one so probably less than 10 years old.
    I don't know anyone who could test it for "not to much". And my Buell dealer is one and a half hour away from home. With gaz and stuff, it would cost me like 50€ to go there which is more than half of a new battery.
    As my bad is the previous owner, I will try to ask him if he remember when he changed it. But I bet he won't remember !

edit : what about the new battery ? I would like to get a Lithium skyrich one. Is it a good idea ?
    Last edited by Niklos; 12-18-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Jump start it, If it starts you need a new Batt, I just bought on works great.

https://www.batterymart.com/c-big-cr...SAAEgJ4z_D_BwE
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-18-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Jump start it, If it starts you need a new Batt, I just bought on works great.
    OK, I will try to find someone who can help me with that !
    Thanks for the link of the battery ! Unfortunatly, I am living in France and shipping a battery oversea is too expensive. I will buy one in France. Thanks everyone !

Inactive
    edit : what about the new battery ? I would like to get a Lithium skyrich one. Is it a good idea ?

NO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast