Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Thanks to all

Big Thanks to all

Recently pick up a friends 08 Ulysses that unfortunately sat up for about 3 years. He asked me to get it running again. Using this forum and all of your combined knowledge, it was pretty darn easy. Drained the fuel, installed fresh fuel, new battery, and it fired right up. I did have a check engine light, turned out to be the EVA, the plastic gears had broken. (Yes, I used one of the forum articles to diagnose the code) Using another article, I bought one of the Doorman parts and modified it to replace the bad EVA. That wasn't real easy, but it worked. The code is intermittent now, I assume it will eventually stay off after the ECM recalibrates. It's stayed off for the last 10 miles or so.
    Riding the Buell was not what I remembered! This bike is pretty scary going into corners, the rear end is very slippery. At first I figured old tires. After riding it about 20 miles I could feel the tires were hooking up pretty good. Suspension is the only thing left, so back to the forum for the stock suspension settings. Printed the chart changed the settings. They were way out, honestly made no sense. Front end way to much preload, rear end no preload. Front end compression and rebound damping both to light, rear had no rebound damping(found one of my issues). The factory settings for my weight proved to be perfect. This bike handles like a dream now!! Pretty darn quick also. The engine vibration while braking is hard to get use to, that's my only complaint.
    I just sold my 97 Vmax and currently own a Victory Cross Roads. I could almost see myself buying one of these bikes. Since I have gotten pretty used to no factory support, Buell being out of business like Victory is no big deal.
    Thanks again for keeping this site up and participating, sure makes keeping these really cool bikes on the road possible.

Welcome aboard , You picked up a great bike, Sounds like your buell is in good hands. Any pics for us ?
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-17-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Welcome Barry! Good to know one more is on the road

FYI The Uly/XB style bikes are hard on front tires and really hate when they get squared off. There may be a bunch of tread left on them old tires but if it feel like its falling into corners and you have to catch it, that could be what it is. Congrats on a job well done

how do you post pictures?

In the tool bar 3rd from the right side hover over it will say ( insert image)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Welcome Barry! Good to know one more is on the road

FYI The Uly/XB style bikes are hard on front tires and really hate when they get squared off. There may be a bunch of tread left on them old tires but if it feel like its falling into corners and you have to catch it, that could be what it is. Congrats on a job well done
    Thanks for the heads up. Honestly, I usually don't ride on tires over 5 years old regardless of tread. They are usually hard as rocks. These Pirelli Corsas are still pliable and have good traction so I am not worried. That said, new tires are on the short list for replacement before spring riding season.

Not sure what happened but i lost the site header and tool bar? Good News I found them. Pictures attached I think

IMG_2071.jpgIMG_2071.jpgIMG_2072.jpg

I like that color

Very nice. thx !!

Here's a finished pic of the re purposed ford intake controller. Great info from jmcelroy. I do think they have changed this part. I was hoping for an easy switch from the bar to the cable pulley. Not to happen, Buell controller has a 3/16 shaft and the Doorman has a 1/4 shaft. Guess it could have been worse if they were reversed. Had to drill out the pulley keeping the hole centered, so you have to round out the flat side of the hole. Then you have to mount the pulley in the right position and height, then secure it so it can be welded. Took a little creative thinking. The plug installs upside down. I thought this would be a deal breaker so I checked it first thing on the bike before i started grinding on an $80 part. The controller worked just fine. Great solution if you are a little handy.

Attachment 8867

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast