Thread: Buell Blast Build

Buell Blast Build

Hey everyone! This forum has been a big help to me over the last year or two of messing around with this bike. Thought I'd share some progress photos as it evolves.

Quick back story:

I got this bike over a year ago as a surprise present for my wife who has always wanted to learn to ride so she can come with me on my bike days and such. I bought it for $400 from an older guy out in the countryside. The bike would only start when sprayed with some starter fluid, and would barely accelerate. But at least I was able to fire it up and make sure it had good compression and the transmission shifted. So I bought it, and snuck it over to my parent's house without my wife knowing. Had all the new parts (replacement turn signals, levers, shifter, carb jets, gaskets, etc...) shipped to my folks house so she wouldn't be suspicious, and then snuck over there once or twice a week to work on it.

Got it running good just in time for her birthday last year and gave it to her, she was hooked! We got some Bluetooth helmet headsets (Sena SMH5) so we could talk while we went out on rides and put a lot of miles on our bikes this last year, good times!

Well the modifying bug has bitten her now, so I figured, what better time than the winter? She is a big fan of a minimalistic motorcycle (so the Blast is kinda perfect for her!) so the main goal is to remove unnecessary items, and make things smaller. It's also going to be repainted, including the frame and wheels.

Probably the most obvious thing to remove was the airbox, which takes up a TON of space. Picked up a Sportster velocity stack and an Outerwears filter (not in the picture, should arrive today from the post office).

Also, her exhaust was kinda ugly and had partially separated where the header meets the muffler, so we decided to try something different. I picked up a sportster exhaust from a guy on Craigslist. Separated out the front header pipe and bolted it on:
    20171210_151926.jpg

The stock sportster muffler was way too long to fit under the Blast, so I cut out about a foot in the middle of it and rewelded it back together (still needs to be cleaned up and painted, this was mostly for test fitting):

20171216_195323.jpg

20171216_182844.jpg

And here it is test fitted on the bike (I have since welded in a bracket near the rear of the muffler and bolted it to the old rear muffler mount to support it) Also you can see the velocity stack test fitted in the picture:

20171216_184306.jpg

I should be able to fire it up tonight once the new carb jets come in from Dan, so we will see how loud it is (may have to cut it back open and make it a little quieter if it's too loud for my wife's taste). I kinda like how it turned out, should look good once I sand it down and paint it.

That's it for progress so far, I'll keep you guys updated as we make more and get into the painting.

That exhaust actually turned out looking pretty awesome. And im betting for the money you can't beat it!

Not to derail your thread but out of curiosity how is that old lightning doing by the way? Those rocker boxes still holding oil? Paint still looking good?

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    That exhaust actually turned out looking pretty awesome. And im betting for the money you can't beat it!

Not to derail your thread but out of curiosity how is that old lightning doing by the way? Those rocker boxes still holding oil? Paint still looking good?
    That's what I'm hoping! So far I've only got about $40 into the exhaust, and a few hours of my time. Excited to finally fire it up tonight!

It's been doing great! The only problem I've had was the oil pan bolt had at some point had a helicoil put in and it came out with the bolt the first time I changed the oil. But I just drilled and tapped it one size bigger and replaced the drain bolt, so nothing big! Other than that it's been awesome. Perfectly reliable! I think the only things I've changed on it are adding the right side air scoop, and chopping the rear fender. Loving it!

20170526_070558.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    That's what I'm hoping! So far I've only got about $40 into the exhaust, and a few hours of my time. Excited to finally fire it up tonight!

It's been doing great! The only problem I've had was the oil pan bolt had at some point had a helicoil put in and it came out with the bolt the first time I changed the oil. But I just drilled and tapped it one size bigger and replaced the drain bolt, so nothing big! Other than that it's been awesome. Perfectly reliable! I think the only things I've changed on it are adding the right side air scoop, and chopping the rear fender. Loving it!

20170526_070558.jpg
    good deal!

Lovely - looking forward to the report on the Blast. What did you decide for jetting? Needle?

Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    Lovely - looking forward to the report on the Blast. What did you decide for jetting? Needle?
    So I'm running 46/175 jetting and just the shimmed stock needle. My knowledge of these carbs isn't great. I fired it up the other night, and it sounded good, but is refusing to rev up. You can ride it around at partial throttle, but as soon as you ty to open the throttle more it just starts spitting and refusing to accelerate. I didn't have much time to mess with it, but my guess is the slide/diaphragm. I'll try to mess with it more this week and report back.