Thread: Rear wheel spinning on stand in neutral

Hybrid View

Rear wheel spinning on stand in neutral

Got my bike on the rear stand and fired it up after changing the primary/trans oil. Is it normal for the rear wheel to spin a bit in neutral? Or is that an indication that I've got the primary tension a bit too high or something?

I say normal. I always thought it was from the exhaust breathin down hard on the rubber if its pointed that way.

Normal , If anthing it would be related to clutch drag, not primary tension. Do you have any difficulty finding neutral when you are out and about ?

I thought it might be clutch drag, but since I've never fired it up on the rear stand before I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying. I've not had any issues finding neutral before and the stock neutral indicator lamp works. Is your bike exhibiting some issues?

Banned
    Yes, it should drag in neutral because of mechanism friction and cold oil viscosity. Once it is warmed up it will rotate slower and drag less.

Not clutch "drag". In neutral on the stand, I'm assuming you are not holding the lever in, disengaging the clutch. Therefore the clutch isn't slipping, it's engaged and spinning the input of the transmission.

That said, TPEHAK is right. It's still totally normal for a transmission in neutral to transmit the tiny amount of power to the final drive, (just from friction alone) causing the rear tire to spin. You should be able to hold it easily by hand.

Still on the stand, if you hold the clutch lever in and shift to first, you will see what clutch 'drag' is. It is vastly stronger and I would NOT recommend trying to stop it with your hand.

No worries, your bike seems fine.