Thread: Help me ID this (probably stock) exhaust

Help me ID this (probably stock) exhaust

The PO said the exhaust was stock, but wrapped, but the exhaust tip is not stock as far as i can see from google image searches. I can find a part number on this, but the only google hit i find takes me to Hawk's site (which doesn't have the part number on it? Google can be weird sometimes).

Did someone just weld a 90 - deg tip with heat shield on?

exhleft.jpg

Right side is unremarkable (to my eye).

Stock on later model Ulys I believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by neilrl79; 12-29-2017 at 07:51 PM.

I agree. Looks like a stock XB12X Ulysses muffler on a not-Ulysses bike for some reason. Internally, it should be the same as any other XB12 muffler. Just the tip is specific to the Uly.

Also, your fuel vent line is hanging loose. It should be retained in a little Adelle clamp behind the footpeg assembly.

This bike is feeling like a bit of a 'bitsa' as i dig into it, i guess .

What would the ramifications of a Uly 12 can be for an xb9? (I've been meaning to get a Buelltooth and I guess it would have the definitive answer.... so i guess 'I know, I should get a buelltooth' is the answer)

Thx for the fuel vent line info too!

It's a stock muffler.

An XB12 muffler has an active exhaust valve, which changes the length of the exhaust tract for different RMP/load conditions. The ECM controls it. The 9s don't have them. I'm not sure how a 9 would react to a non-actuated 12 muffler, but I bet it isn't optimal. As you said, the bike looks like a hodge podge of random parts, so I kind of doubt anyone took the time to really tune the ECM calibration for that setup. A stock 9 muffler should be relatively easy to find used since most people take them off.

Your frame and engine are silver, which are earlier models, but you have a black primary, which was only on later models (2009-2010 I believe).

And yes, a Buelltooth is a good investment. The ECMdroid app (Android) works really well. It is a very handy tool to have for any Buell.