Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Belt Joiner

Emergency Belt Joiner

Hey Guys, been a bit of discussion over here in NZ about emergency belt joiners. Is there such a thing or urban myth disguised as wishfull thinking. Cheers, Stu

They do exist, but there is no way in hell I would ever use it. Even in an emergency in the middle of nowhere. You're better off using your cell phone, or your feet. This thing would tear up a lot of expensive parts very quickhttp://www.ebay.ca/itm/Belt-Master-L...451?rmvSB=true

It's only low grade metal whipping around your fleshy leg holding all the horsepower and shock load to the rear wheel, what could go wrong?

I dunno. Maybe I'd use one with full belt guards? and in a have to situation? Zombies are coming! Throw it in your Uly box and hope to never need it? Breaking a belt is so damn rare though, I don't even carry a spare on any trips...

I'm not sure of parts availability for it in Kiwiland. If belts are super hard to find, I'd buy one and put it in the garage. A friend can always mail it to you if your really stuck on the other end of the islands.

Hey Cooter, actually, parts supply is pretty good. We must have more rubbish on our roads out here as on a recent rally, 3 belts got broken including mine, hence the discussion. Fortunately I had a spare in my backpack and was back on the road in 40 mins. Belts are running at around NZ$350. Just always on the lookout for things to solve problems.

Belt joiner success depends on many things, the two main would be the type of fastener being used and the durometer of the rubber, If there was one available, I wouldn't use it ! There o.k. on machinery and even V belts in cars for short periods of time but a bike, I don't think so.

THREE belts in one rally!?! How many tires got blown? Wow, thats crazy are you dirt tracking in a scrap metal yard? lol. Burt Munro would be proud

Serious question, are you running full upper and lower belt guards?

NJ, check out the link. They aren't screwing bolts into the rubber. Its an upper and lower piece held together with cotter pins to sandwich the belt ends and use the belt teeth as support. Like a weird sideway master link-ish thing.
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-31-2017 at 05:26 PM.

If belt longevity is the issue, due to the environment or harsh road conditions. Has any considered going to a chain conversion? I know people like the no maintenance approach of the belt. But a chain would last longer and be easier / cheaper to maintain if this is the case. (Abet the initial cost of the conversion.)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed1 View Post
    If belt longevity is the issue, due to the environment or harsh road conditions. Has any considered going to a chain conversion? I know people like the no maintenance approach of the belt. But a chain would last longer and be easier / cheaper to maintain if this is the case. (Abet the initial cost of the conversion.)
    You got it backwards. A belt lasts longer and requires less maintenance than a chain.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    You got it backwards. A belt lasts longer and requires less maintenance than a chain.
    A belt requires NO maintenance, and last forever. In most cases. I have never had one go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    A belt requires NO maintenance, and last forever. In most cases. I have never had one go bad.
    That's true, 24,000 miles on my belt and I have done literally NOTHING to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast