Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issues with shifting, second gear

I use this stuff. The included tool was actually very helpful on the clutch cable, though not so much with the throttle cable. I picked it up at my local HD dealer, but lots of online options as well.

http://cycleplicity.com/products/245...caAhoQEALw_wcB

Well I have some news to report. Picked up some amsoil and cable lube and followed the procedure (thanks lunatic). Clutch feel is much improved now, something must have been out of adjustment. It's still feels like its stepping a bit but not nearly as much as before. Cable felt smooth when removed from clutch lever so maybe the ball ramp is worn?? I think TPEHAK should engineer a replacement ball ramp that will NEVER fail, would love to see a how-to I kid! Used that cable lube that submax suggested, cool product, but I made a mess so next time I may just use the ol dribble method. Primary chain had at least an inch of play so adjusted that down. Anyhow, bike rides much better now. Second gear still grinds a little but not as bad. If I keep the revs down I can engage smoothly where as before I would always grind no matter what. So I guess I'll just have to be easy on it until I decide to tear the engine out and maybe work on the trans. Thanks all for the help!

Glad it seems to be working better. Keep us posted and enjoy the ride!

Inactive
    I think TPEHAK should engineer a replacement ball ramp that will NEVER fail, would love to see a how-to

that would be real stretch considering he doesnt' even know the correct name of the part. it is the "clutch actuator assembly" and trust me.....yours is NOT worn out and in need of replacement. an inspection would reveal there's no wear on it whatsoever. since you've noticed a huge improvement following my recommendations put 50 miles or so on the bike then do the clutch pack/clutch cable/primary chain adjustment one more time. that should wrap it up. i'll also note here that every single motorcycle ever produced that places neutral between 1st and 2nd gears has a tendency to "clunk" on the 1-2 shift point especially when the lube is cold. EVERY XB model using a dedicated primary lube such as amsoil 20wt-50...a correctly adjusted clutch pack and clutch cable...and correctly adjusted primary drive.....will give a "light clunk" on the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts then jap-smooth on 3-4 and 4-5. sportsters have shifted this identical way for 61 years now and so do XB's.

Last edited by user_deleted; 01-20-2018 at 04:11 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12