Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buell XB ----how long can we keep em running?

Buell XB ----how long can we keep em running?

My local shop guy is trying to convince me that the buells are gonna give me fits down the road with the aging electronics and computer stuff, and i am going to have a difficult time finding replacement parts as well as somebody to help me work on them....any thoughts or input?

Inactive
    hear this at least 1X per week. i'm sure he means well but your "shop guy" is absolutely wrong. in the most simplistic terms here's the real deal:
    buell electronics such as wiring looms, switches, switchgear, ecm's, lights and all else very common and very well built components. most sourced from popular jap suppliers such as nissin. in my collection of vintage and modern bikes are a few 45 year old jap bikes with virtually the identical components. they still work flawlessly.

other than transluscent body-work...think kick ash/orange krate/hero blue/cherry bomb components....there will never ever be a shortage of parts available. if and when that time comes the aftermarket will kick in and reproduce the part and fill the void.

every single perishable and service related item on an XB will be available FOREVER! no exceptions.

there has always been a short-supply if you will of knowledgeable, competent trustworthy buell techs. that won't change. fortunately we're not talking garbage pizza bike desmo valve train adjustments here. a competent local sportster mechanic can do 90% of all the work any XB might ever require.

these are simple fairly bomb-proof bikes that are relatively easy to keep on the road. that will never change.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 01-03-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Your mechanic is right Buells will become progressively harder to maintain. You might get another 50K problem free miles, or your bike may break next week. Good luck.

The engine metal bits are all readily available as stock or upgrade types, the seals, gaskets, clutches, etc. others will exist forever thanks to the Sportster commonality. The electronics are not really failure prone and are plentiful from parted out bikes and worse case you could convert to an alternate like a Sportster ECU (with conversion of timing sensors etc.). This bike will not be hard to keep in shape. Now, EBR on the other hand...... that is a bit tougher long term.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk1976 View Post
    My local shop guy is trying to convince me that the buells are gonna give me fits down the road with the aging electronics and computer stuff, and i am going to have a difficult time finding replacement parts as well as somebody to help me work on them....any thoughts or input?
    My input is go to a a new Shop !

I guess it all depends how much you love your bike and how far you are willing to go for it. Because there aren't many places that you can drop a buell off and tell them to fix it. A lot of the leg work, should you need to do it, will fall on your shoulders.

The community is amazing and there are many resources, but it depends on your ability to use what's out there .

My guess would be, " they will still be running long after we are gone"!

For your "local shop guy" to have that attitude means he is so unfamiliar with Buells, I would never take it there. Honestly.

Any maintenance item on these is not a 'Buell specific' repair. If you can do it on a Honda, you can do it on Buell. Brake pads, wheel bearings, fork seals, whatever.

I'll be 69 in a few weeks.
    Retired Marine Engineer, (pretty good motorcycle mechanic).
    Own two, 07-Xb12STT's.

Think I'll be set for the next 15-20 years no matter what the parts market brings.

NOTE: I believe Lunatic Fringe to be absolutely correct.

Appreciate all the replies.really love these bikes and want to pick a couple more up in the near future......Guess you fellas helped make up my mind. Thank You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast