Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cager technologies on the road in 2018 that are helping us!

Cager technologies on the road in 2018 that are helping us!

(ACC) Adaptive Cruise Control - You can't run up on a vehicle in your lane at highway speeds. Vehicle automatically slows to match speed and maintains the proper distance in relation to the vehicle in front of you.

(LDS) or (LKAS) Lane departure or lane keeping assistance systems - Simply corrects your trajectory between lanes if you DO NOT use a turn signal.

(BLIS) Blind Spot Warning Systems - In conjunction WITH lane keeping assistance (LKAS) automatically nudges your vehicle back if you are about to cut someone off.

(ABL) Auto Brake Lock - When in DRIVE this holds the vehicle at a stop even if you let up on the brake pedal. Just like idle stop as soon as you accelerate it seamlessly releases. This feature is GREAT in bumper to bumper traffic and relieves leg fatigue.

(CSBS) City Safety Collision Braking Systems - Not only keeps cagers from goosing motorbikes at intersections but brakes vehicles automatically if any cross traffic is approaching behind a backing vehicle. Back up cams are great too!

I know we have a long ways to go before most cars and trucks have all these safety features but Volvo's already there. In the new world of distracted driving maybe it's the VEHICLE that sees you before the DRIVER in our next near death experience.

We're just a suggestion to Volvo away from a system that recognizes a motorbike approaching in cross traffic situations and at least warns a driver if not applies the brakes automatically. Hell I would even pay for a special TRANSPONDER on my bike if cars would give a MOTORCYCLE PRESENCE WARNING to a merging driver.
    Last edited by midway; 01-10-2018 at 05:32 PM.

I agree. I trust the computers/machines to see me a lot more than I trust most people. I look forward to fully autonomous cars becoming more commonplace. The kind of people that will want to be driven in an autonomous car are the kind of people who are currently texting, Facebooking, Tweeting, etc. while they are driving.

Quote Originally Posted by LouWambsganss View Post
    texting, Facebooking, Tweeting.
    Apple's recent update that blocks texting while in motion was decent but if newer vehicles get as smart as Volvo a simple transponder on any bike would light us up in cross traffic very nicely. It really wouldn't bother the driver and couple it with City Safety Collision Service we would have a winner. I heard Lincoln already has a motorcycle detection system in the works. I just bought the new XC60 and it practically drives itself. Very encouraging features on these new Volvo's.
    Last edited by midway; 01-08-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Yeah, the Volvo's are really nice. The systems seems to work really well. Their heavy truck auto-braking systems are really impressive also. At some point, more of the systems will become mandatory on new cars, just like seat belts, ABS, rear cameras, etc. The faster the better as far as I'm concerned. Another thing that would be helpful is annual safety inspections. Not necessarily even emissions, just check for brakes, lights, signals, tires, etc. That would keep a lot of dangerous cars off the road. We have it here in Dallas (coupled with emissions) and you don't see nearly as many visibly unsafe cars on the road as other areas.

My ATS has most of those items. You can even set it to mantain the local speed limit with a certain max (5, 10, 15 mph over). Password protection for the kiddies (although I'm not sure how that works yet).

I agree with the safety inspections. Used to have them in Colorado and the day they got repealed, rolling scrap hit the streets.

Most new cars have those options now. Chrysler/ Jeep and ect. I think we are missing the real issue here. People need to pull there heads out and except some responsibility. If you are depending on your car to make you a safe driver you shouldn't be driving. Stop looking at your phone . Stop watching that big screen TV on your dash . Drive your car responsibly and let's enforce these laws.

Agreed Outlaw. Driving is a responsibility many people should not be tasked with.

And that's the circle of despair.

Make cages do everything without the need for a driver to think, and guess what happens. Then, who do you blame when it fails and kills me??

I'm all for keeping machine controls that only use human inputs, or else!!!

You've been warned!

Go to 3:04 in this video and you will see what my car does for lane swerving bikers. This guy is demonstrating the cars capabilities without his feet on any pedal or hands on the wheel. However you don't take your hands off the wheel per existing law in my state. It's called driver assist software not diverless yet, you can still sue me

Vehicle automatically brakes and backs off in case my eyes are somewhere else in that instant. I will embrace this software and hope it continues. Those deep pockets you hope to sue are moving beyond your reach with expensive vehicles. Works for me and my insurance company as a biker and a cager.

Last edited by midway; 01-10-2018 at 05:28 PM.

I'm sure the systems work very well and they work in a very high percentage of situations. I won't argue that, Engineers are a smart bunch. My S5 does all sorts of stuff, it had been so long since I had to manually turn the switch I couldn't find it for a minute or two

I'm just saying that when you encounter a situation that the car can't compensate for you, you will be less prepared to do something, to the point of not even knowing what to do/. Like what automatic trans did to the stick, backing up and turning your neck, or parking close to something without a beep. Soon parallel parking, emergency stopping, or just staying in your own damn lane.

I feel old for saying this, but the safest thing you could do is mandate a pointy stick, mounted the steering wheel, pointing towards the driver face. You bet people wouldn't tailgate anymore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast