Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burnt out stator and testing regulator

O.k., so bad rewind ?

A simple DVOM can test the stator both statically, and functionally.

The simple procedure is in the service manual available for free from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    A simple DVOM can test the stator both statically, and functionally.

The simple procedure is in the service manual available for free from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com
    The stator test I'm ok, with, was more interested in a better way to confirm the regulator
    is not damaged.

Inactive
    was more interested in a better way to confirm the regulator
    is not damaged.

NO known "static" test for the 3-phase VR. looking for a "better way" to confirm VR functional and working as intended?
    there is only one way to confirm that. replace your burned out stator again.....reconnect all wiring....fully charge battery....start motor....test DC volts output across battery terminals. that's the VR test.

If you are going to crack your case and replace your stator, just go ahead and replace your regulator while you are at it. Thoroughly inspecting wiring and fuses while you do it.

Thanks guys.
    When I had the stator rewound the 1st time, the charging voltage was correct.
    I dont want to risk the stator again, its a real PITA to remove it, so I'll just get a
    generic 38Amp regulator and be done with it.

So although the diode test was ok the 1st time round, now with the second failure
    they are testing open cct. I did double check against the wifes bike, so no mistake
    made, the regulator is toast as well.
    Buell regulators here are not available, so besides wiring, plugs and mounts which can
    be adapted, is there another regulator option that can be made to fit ? Maybe
    one of the Harleys ? I've seen reference to the Buell being around 35 Amp, but
    an auto electrician has told me it needs something in the region of 65 Amps.
    So what are my alternative options please.

Inactive
    86-2007 sportster regulators same amperage.....3-phase----physically close in size and appearance....can be adapted but real PITA to do. see link below for single phase adaptation. NOT worth time and effort but if you have no other choice then it's something to consider. there are NO known plug-and-play substitutes i'm aware of. if it were me and i was in SA i'd just buy a decent used take-off from either ebay or a board member. i loathe ebay but every purchase warrantied thru them so worth the gamble to buy used IMO.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...or-on-Buell-XB

Thanks Lunaticfringe.
    I did in fact see that thread, however I saw that is a 4 wire VR, whereas mine is a 5 wire (3 from stator, and 2 to battery) so didnt take it any further.
    If all else fails, I have a colleague going to the UK in a few weeks, so I may see if I can get an e-bay option delivered there.
    Thanks again for the constant support.

Inactive
    yes sir always my pleasure. good used 03-07 VR's run about $60 here in America. list price for new is approx. $152
    factory part # for your year/model VR is Y1302.02A8
    i would be more than willing to send you down a new or used VR but in all honesty i've never had anything but serious problems shipping to SA. seems your customs office in Johannesburg loves hanging onto parcels for weeks until the spirit moves them to forward onto the recipients.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast