Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to use aftermarket headlight and retain steering lock?

Is it possible to use aftermarket headlight and retain steering lock?

Hey everyone,

Working on a single headlight conversion on my XB12SS (because I can't seem to leave anything alone, in the middle of 3 different projects right now: '79 Corvette, 07 XB12SS, and Wife's 01 Blast). I have the headlight and bucket I want to use, and I've already done the wiring conversion and mock up.

I was wondering if anyone knows of or can think of a way to retain the steering lock? Obviously the keyed ignition/steering lock is built into the stock headlight which I'm removing. I have no problem relocating the keyed ignition/ replacing it with an RFID ignition, but I was hoping there would be a simple way to retain the ability to lock my steering.

Let me know if you have any ideas!

Banned
    Check edspecial Buell. They installed Mt03 headlight in existing housing.

https://youtu.be/Fb2fS2SRJXE

https://www.google.com/search?q=edsp...iw=360&bih=511
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 01-09-2018 at 09:10 PM.

The lock cylinder bolts to the steering neck. Not the headlight housing. So if you remove all the stock XB front windscreen and headlight housing, you are still left with the key and steering lock operable.

It's easy enough to make a couple aluminum brackets to mount the stock gauge cluster to bolt to the holes in the front of the upper triple too.

Last edited by Cooter; 01-10-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Banned
    I just eliminated the steering lock and original instrument cluster and relocated most of the stuff from the head unit into the airbox. I found this is the only way to clean enough space for headlight.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...pe-Mini-M-Lock
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 01-10-2018 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The lock cylinder bolts to the steering neck. Not the headlight housing. So if you remove all the stock XB front windscreen and headlight housing, you are still left with the key and steering lock operable.

It's easy enough to make a couple aluminum brackets to mount the stock gauge cluster to bolt to the holes in the front of the upper triple too.

Ah good point. I have a feeling it will be hard for me to retain the stock position of the keyed ignition/steering lock without it being a bit unsightly with the stock headlight housing removed, but I'll take a better look tonight. Thanks for the info! It would definitely be the easiest solution if I can just leave that in the stock position and hide it with the headlight setup. I'll do some more mocking up tonight and possibly post some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    I just eliminated the steering lock and original instrument cluster and relocated most of the stuff from the head unit into the airbox. I found this is the only way to clean enough space for headlight.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...pe-Mini-M-Lock
    That is awesome! I never would have thought of that. I have some space in my headlight bucket that I was thinking I could fit some of the relays and wiring into, but probably not all. The airbox relocation is a great idea. Thanks!

I'll take better pics for you when I get home. I don't think it's bad at all. All of the wiring fit in that small headlight bucket I have

You can get RFID switches on e-bay for $20 or less, but you'll still need a key for a steering lock set up. I'd avoid an electrical plunger for that job.

I'll take better pics for you when I get home. I don't think it's bad at all. All of the wiring fit in that small headlight bucket I have

You can get RFID switches on e-bay for $20 or less, but you'll still need a key for a steering lock set up. I'd avoid an electrical plunger for that job.
    Awesome, pics would be great! Did you put the relays/horn in the bucket as well? Or relocate them to the airbox like TPEHAK?

I've actually been looking into RFID switches, definitely considering them, but if I'm retaining the stock steering lock, I might as well just retain the stock ignition setup since I would be carrying keys with me anyway.

All the wiring fit in the pretty small (6") headlight, but it's led so the bulb thing is really flat. I mounted the horn outside right below it in the center of the lower triple using an existing hole. I'd delete it but....Cali.... I use the horn every single day I really don't notice the horn mounted there.

I agree with the RFID thing. I did it on another bike and just never locked the steering again, you're just adding an extra step everytime you get on or off it.

When I did the RFID thing, the e-bay kit came with 10 or so of the 'keys' so I fit the sensor wire in the right control housing on the bars, and sewed the 'keys' into all my gloves near my thumb. I'd just sit on the bike grab the throttle and thumb the starter all in one motion. I liked it!
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-12-2018 at 12:07 AM.

All the wiring fit in the pretty small (6") headlight, but it's led so the bulb thing is really flat. I mounted the horn outside right below it in the center of the lower triple using an existing hole. I'd delete it but....Cali.... I use the horn every single day I really don't notice the horn mounted there.

I agree with the RFID thing. I did it on another bike and just never locked the steering again, you're just adding an extra step everytime you get on or off it.

When I did the RFID thing, the e-bay kit came with 10 or so of the 'keys' so I fit the sensor wire in the right control housing on the bars, and sewed the 'keys' into all my gloves near my thumb. I'd just sit on the bike grab the throttle and thumb the starter all in one motion. I liked it!

Awesome! I will probably attempt that tonight. My headlight is LED as well and pretty flat, so there is SOME room left in the bucket. Hard to imagine that there is enough for all the wiring, but maybe I can make it fit! That would look really clean.

Hey that's super cool! I love the idea of that. I'm going to attempt to retain the stock steering lock, but if I can't make it work in a way that is aesthetically pleasing (because let's face it, the whole reason for this front headlight conversion is to make the bike look more like I want it to) then I will go the RFID route and just do away with keys. Did you get a keyless gascap by chance so you wouldn't need keys at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast