Thread: New here + questions about gear indicator programming

New here + questions about gear indicator programming

Hello all!
    I'm new here, so I'll first introduce myself.
    My name is Jordi, I live in the Netherlands and since 2013 I have a '04 Buell XB12S. I already did a lot of modifying since then, also with the help of stuff I read on this forum, but now I'm stuck.
    I would like to install a gear indicator, not that I really need it, but I like the look of it and I also like working on my Buell, so why not. I bought one from eBay, it was around $25.

I hooked it up to the dashboard according to the manual and I'm ready to program it, but I can only program the first gear. Only one time I managed to do second gear, but when trying on third gear, it gave an error. Is there somebody who has done this? I also read on this forum that somebody used the positive crank signal to the ECM (pin 18) instead of the pink tacho signal to the dash, but that was on a '08 XB and that is a different ECM.

Is there somebody who can tell me how long it could take? Or tips?

I'll post a picture of my Buell later, I don't have one right now.

Thank you!

Most of the universal gear indicators can use the crank sensor, cam sensor, or tach signal along with the speed sensor to calculate the gear.

This isn't a Buell specific question. You'll have to contact whatever company made the indicator to ask how to program it.

If you need a ECM pin-out, its in the service manual, you gan gat a free .pdf download at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Good luck!

Okay, thank you. Then I don't have to try changing the tachometer wire to the crank signal wire.
    I have a manual with the indicator and I know it works, otherwise first and second would go wrong as well. So I thought, maybe there is a tip.
    Thanks for the websites, never heard about buelltooth.com before.

From what I seem to remember, the problem was often caused by the speedo signal frequency being too high for some gear indicators. Many expect one or two pulses per full turn of the front sprocket, Buells send more than 40 (IIRC).

Okay, that would cause a problem yes. But I use the signal from ECM to the speedometer, not the signal from sprocket sensor to the ECM. Which signal would you recommend to use?

I'm not sure the input from the sensor would be different than the output to the speedo (in pulses)? Gunter would probably know

I tried some other signals, but gave up on the gear indicator.
    Thanks for the support, I'll stick around this forum, so much info

I seem to remember someone posting a DIY on gear indicator here on the forums a while back... perhaps a search would yield an answer?

Thanks, I will have a look