Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to use aftermarket headlight and retain steering lock?

Ya, keyless was such a convenience. My house has a keypad lock, so does my garage and my shop. All my padlock are combos. The car is push button start too. It's really nice to walk out of the house and not even worry about it.

I'm thinking I have lassiochemusophobia!!

These pics make it look all weird, and off center? But in person I think its pretty clean for a 20 minute project that updated the whole look of the bike drastically. The LED light is way different. It's a pencil beam. I like it, but in the country at night it's bright enough but I wish it had more spread.

The aluminum brackets for the stock dash are just scrap bin pieces I whipped together. Don't judge! Lol

bs4OVZ28Q9yRB2cgSCn%zw by Cooter!, on Flickr
    q+xkygcHQnOOMXprSKqCmQ by Cooter!, on Flickr
    zhQG7x1qSLC0jl26cY+GhA by Cooter!, on Flickr
    p+270vVfQ1mxpFi9FMlcfg by Cooter!, on Flickr
    +jdA9FSbTxO4+F9JAmW0bA by Cooter!, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    These pics make it look all weird, and off center? But in person I think its pretty clean for a 20 minute project that updated the whole look of the bike drastically. The LED light is way different. It's a pencil beam. I like it, but in the country at night it's bright enough but I wish it had more spread.

The aluminum brackets for the stock dash are just scrap bin pieces I whipped together. Don't judge! Lol

bs4OVZ28Q9yRB2cgSCn%zw by Cooter!, on Flickr
    q+xkygcHQnOOMXprSKqCmQ by Cooter!, on Flickr
    zhQG7x1qSLC0jl26cY+GhA by Cooter!, on Flickr
    p+270vVfQ1mxpFi9FMlcfg by Cooter!, on Flickr
    +jdA9FSbTxO4+F9JAmW0bA by Cooter!, on Flickr
    Ha! Apparently we have similar taste in headlights https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...630#post597630

Yours turned out really good, and no judgement on the scrap aluminum brackets, I was doing something similar last night! I tell myself that I will go back and paint them to make them blend in better... but we all know the truth

All the wiring fit in the pretty small (6") headlight, but it's led so the bulb thing is really flat. I mounted the horn outside right below it in the center of the lower triple using an existing hole. I'd delete it but....Cali.... I use the horn every single day I really don't notice the horn mounted there.

I agree with the RFID thing. I did it on another bike and just never locked the steering again, you're just adding an extra step everytime you get on or off it.

When I did the RFID thing, the e-bay kit came with 10 or so of the 'keys' so I fit the sensor wire in the right control housing on the bars, and sewed the 'keys' into all my gloves near my thumb. I'd just sit on the bike grab the throttle and thumb the starter all in one motion. I liked it!
    Which RFID kit did you get ? I’m working on a new cafe bike project and think this would be a neat addition.

I just got a cheap one off e-bay, nothing special. When Cooter drinks beer, he likes to buy sober Cooter little presents that show up randomly in the mail.

sort of like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Engine-...EAAOSw~y9ZCER2

I wired it to use the stock handlebar switch instead of the non-weatherproof push button. I also wired it to use a Bosch 20-30 relay for the starter interlock instead of the little chinese one on the circuit board. Easy little project.

Banned
    M-Lock is the best.

I just got a cheap one off e-bay, nothing special. When Cooter drinks beer, he likes to buy sober Cooter little presents that show up randomly in the mail.

sort of like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Engine-...EAAOSw~y9ZCER2

I wired it to use the stock handlebar switch instead of the non-weatherproof push button. I also wired it to use a Bosch 20-30 relay for the starter interlock instead of the little chinese one on the circuit board. Easy little project.

Yeah, thats kind of how I came into this project. Sounded cool when I was drinking.

M-lock is more expensive. Sure they're nice, but for me 'the best' was a cheap experiment (that ended up working perfectly) was what I needed.

"the best" is purely subjective. FYI, I hate their red dot display and think they're over priced for old tech.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12