Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fork oil change question

Pretty simple question .... do I need to compress the spring in the fork to just change my oil ? I have the manual, but nothing on just " changing the fork oil". It's the complete overhaul of the fork in the manual.
    Simple thing to do for someone who never did this and don't have "special tools" ? I'm good with tools, I'm a car mecanic, just never worked on forks before ...

Thanks.

Seriously ? How come nobody is answering this simple question ?

the fork oil level is set with the spring removed from the tube so yes you need to compress the spring. you can use a ratchet strap to compress it though.

Ok thanks! now, do you suggest to put the suggested "grade" of oil or a bit "thicker" to stiffen the suspension ?

Can't answer your question but i know it well be asked to get your answer so what bike do you have and weight depends on your weight and riding preference

Inactive
    big twin: any top-quality 7.5wt. or 10wt. fork oil such as torco, bel-ray, silkolene will work. manual states type "E" but showa techs like any of the ones i mentioned. after you remove the forks from the bike....you know how to do this....correct....just remove top cap and lid which reveals the inner cartridge. do not remove or loosen any fasteners below the dust cap/seal area. put each tube upside-down in a drain pan for several minutes. most of the fluid will drain. then continue to hold it upside down and gently work the cartridge compressing and extending it. you'll see and hear more fluid drain. i like to spray parts cleaner or brake cleaner inside the tube and swish it around continuing to work the cartridge, then place whole fork assy. upside-down in drain pan and let it drain overnite. clean everything up next day, refill with approx. 16 ounces per tube and reinstall. kona mentioned "setting" fork level and that is good advice as per the manual but 16 ounces will get you very close.

Fellas, here is a video of the oil and seal change on a Ulysses, for the do-it-yourself-er.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIe1esOIobQ

Thanks guys !!!

It's time I finally get the old fork oil changed on the uly. I'm feeling a bit squeamish about disassembling them myself, so was thinking I'd pull them off the bike and have my local (if you can call 45 mins away local) shop do seals and fresh oil. Question is, does anyone have a good baseline on what this "Should" cost or if more simple approximate labor time?

I had mine done last spring. It was just over $250 parts and labor (with me bringing the forks in to the shop off the bike). Not sure that represents what it "should" cost...but it does represent what it DID cost. That said, it was definitely worth it to me to take them in and have them done. I do most work myself, and I'm sure I could learn to do the forks as well, but didn't really want to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast