Thread: Mud slides n Cali

Mud slides n Cali

I hope you guys are keeping your bikes warm to make a quick exit if a mud slide hits.

Realistically though, I hope all you California Bueller's are O.K. I lived there back in the late 70's so, I know what a mud slide is and what it can do.

I called it when the fires were raging next to so many communities. It happened every year and still people/ cities don't make the connection and shore up the fresh burn/ steep hill areas near houses.

What a shame, too many avoidable lives lost and massive damage!

After the fires they spent a lot of time trying to minimize the effect rain would have, but it takes time to set. In northern California they had more time for the seeding to take effect as well as other measures and were spared similar mudslides.

There was a fire up the road from me (the Bear Fire), and the twit that owns some of the land didn't want them doing anything to mitigate mudslides. Her insurance company said they would refuse to cover any damage from mudslides that came from her property. The rest of the land was taken care of and even though there were some mudslides they didn't do anything but get the silt in the creek (which is a pretty bad issue in itself).

We had over 6" of rain and minor slides.

When I was there in late 70's, I don't remember anything about fires, if there were any ? I remember when we first arrived, I said to my wife, the consistency of the ground (Dirt ) looks like it will crumble at any moment. So when we started to get the rain, the mud sides, didn't surprise me at all. I guess the people expect it and accept it.

I can't even fathom what it would take to clean 6-10 FEET of mud out of a community.... That stuff is like concrete

Forest fires are normal in the region we call California. They have been occurring for centuries and play a crucial role in the development of the seedbed, flora and fauna. For example, fires are very important for the existence of giant sequoia trees. They scorch the earth, destroying pests and weeds. A sequoia seedling will only germinate in the presence of intense fire. The giant trees themselves are nearly fire proof.

Same with pine cones.