Thread: Clunking

Clunking

I recently have been doing a variety of needed work on my 2006 Uly. I had it on the hoist. When I start it up, it runs fine. When I shift into any gear (on the hoist), there is a clunking sound that matching exactly the thumping of the engine. Is that normal driveline lash? Or should I be looking for a problem somewhere?

I should add that this bike as 25,000 miles and has not been raced or rodded. It is stock.

Inactive
    you're experiencing what's called "unevenly spaced power strokes". like every 45 degree V motor in the buell/H-D lineup....the XB motor is a 480 degree motor. in essence what that means is that there's alot of crankshaft rotation degrees between one cylinder firing and then the other. this delay and long timing between power strokes causes tons of driveline noise when bike is running with rear wheel off the ground and dropped into any gear. it's really not a practice you should do. if you're still uneasy about the racket then carefully check all the engine mounting hardware particularly the front head to frame mount for bushing wear...and closely check the primary chain tension. an easy task at room temp that takes all of 5 minutes.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I'm learning the bike, and everything helps, since I need to be my own mechanic.