Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can you get kickstand bolts in without removing exhaust?

can you get kickstand bolts in without removing exhaust?

Rode for about an hour Saturday and almost dropped the bike in a parking lot when I learned that one of the kickstand bolts was completely gone! this let the stand twist instead of bearing weight. It looks like it just vibrated out from the bottom.

If there's enough room for it to fall out and disappear, i suppose it's possible i could worm a new one in there but damned if can see how.

Funny enough i had been planning to drop the muffler (it's a Ulysses box for some reason the PO knows but I don't, and I want to make sure the valve in it is in the open position since my xb9 doesn't have the controller solenoid) but not if i can't put the bike on a stand.... but if i have to i have to.

One of the chin spoiler torx-headed bolts is gone too; anyone know that size for my next trip to the hardware store?

Inactive
    T-27 on the bolt. should be shouldered just like airbox base plate and front fender. needless to say just remove one of the other 5 from either left or right and take along to purchase correct one. the bolt also has factory thin wall plastic washer on it. without a similar or identical washer the bolt will eventually damage the chin spoiler. to properly diagnose what's going on with the stand and repair properly i always remove the muffler. it's straight-forward but be damn sure to soak the front header-to-muffler clamp and the front mounting hardware as well as the 2 rear straps with penetrant like PB blaster. then do the job correctly with the muffle removed. it's time well spent and 0 frustration.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 01-29-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Good advice as usual, John!

As far as the T-27 bolts, I had to replace a couple from the rear drive belt cover. I don't know if they are the same length as the ones for the spoiler. They weren't available anymore and I couldn't get them at my local ACE Hardware. I ended up ordering a box of these: https://www.mcmaster.com/#90910a537/=1b4sk5g. They head slightly smaller diameter than stock, so I added a thin metal washer to go with it that I did get from ACE. As far as the thin plastic washers for the spoiler, I did purchase a few of those a year or so ago from HD, so they might still be available. Sinikl...I'm happy to send one of these T-27 if you like (free of charge) since I ordered a box of 25.

As far as the side stand bolts. Funny you mention those. When I installed my Drummer SS exhaust last year, I initially forgot to put the kickstand back on before installing the muffler. I was not able to get those bolts to go with the exhaust in place. (I was using brand new bolts I had purchased from HD). Yet, I had been able to get the old ones OFF with the old exhaust in place when I was taking it apart. After much head scratching, I looked closely at the old bolts and noticed that they were shorter than my new ones and it was clear that the PO had cut them. So, my guess is that he had removed the exhaust at some point and after reinstalling had forgotten to put the bolts in just like me. So, he cut them shorter so he didn't have to take it back apart. I really didn't want to lose that much thread length on the bolts that hold up my bike. So, I took the exhaust back off, put the kickstand on with the new bolts, and then finished the installation.

Inactive
    Good advice as usual, John!

I'm happy to send one of these T-27 if you like (free of charge) since I ordered a box of 25.

thanks for the kind words james. your offer to this guy and generosity is one of the reasons you're a titan on this board. very generous of you.

Thanks, John. Just following the lead of you and others on the forum that I've seen be extremely generous with advice and parts and such. Hope you were able to kick that flu bug, by the way.

Thanks guys for the replies! I will post back when it's not in the 20s when I get home from work (supposed to warm up this wknd)

I appreciate the bolts offer (but I might order some of my own because I'm missing some from the tank and these things seem to cast off hardware), too!

tempted to put the sidestand in with green loctite sleeve retainer but i'll be reasonable and use red

Got stuff off today.

1. Missing 3 chin fairing bolts
    2. Straps were easy to get at, thankfully.
    3. Is the side bracket on the exhaust right side supposed to bolt up to the case? I can't see how and mine looks to have just been to mount the chin fairing.
    4. uly exhaust valve was 'wired open’ with zip ties. Which melted. Because of course they did.
    5. Only one kickstand bolt, severely bent, remaining... I wonder if this is why PO said it ”takes a set” on the stand after you put it down, like there were two loose bolts ND then there was one and I almost dropped it in a parking lot....

Inactive
    3. Is the side bracket on the exhaust right side supposed to bolt up to the case? I can't see how and mine looks to have just been to mount the chin fairing.

NO! the muffler is attached to your bike via 2 rear straps....one front strap secured to front mount....muffler to header clamp. the chin fairing then mounts to the muffler attachment points which are 2 on left...2 on front...3 on right.

Argh.

1. One of the kickstand bolts didn't vibrate out... It snapped off inside the case. Curse you, PO!!

Since the other one vibrated loose, I'm hoping it's not stuck and I can get it out with an ez out, but my set is at a friend's.

2. The only bolts I could find at Lowe’s with the same thread depth have a longer shoulder. No problem, I think, I'll just get washers to take up the slack.

The factory bolts seem to be the way they are so they don't sit proud and prevent mounting the exhaust. Think I could use shorter bolts that are grade 8 and get away with it maybe?

I surrender for today, beer time

Like I said, the PO of my bike had cut the kickstand bolts short in order to get them to fit with the exhaust on. You might be able to get away with shorter bolts. I tend to stick as close as possible to stock with these kinds of parts. I want to have the most threads I can holding my kickstand on. But, that's just me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast