Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 07 XB12SS Build

I agree the steering lock isn't much of a deterrent. You could get a disk lock or something if you're the type to be worried bout it, but if they want it.... they'll take it.

My lack of worries come from a low deductible

I justify my thought this way. Vehicle theft per capita is WAAAAAY down for lots of reasons , thieves don't want a custom bike/car anyway because they're easy to trace, and impossible to sell, my Buell isn't worth 1/4 as much as the Panigale its parked next to, and I like my bike a lot... but Erik made more than one of them.

Banned
    I use rear and frond disks locks and Scopio motorcycle alarm system. They are better than steering lock.

Adding a multitude of deterrents seems like a good idea initially, except...

I won't wait for you while you're fumbling in your pockets for three different sets of keys, and a key-fob alarm thing every time you park.

The reality is 99% of disk locks I see on parked bikes are still on the mount not on the disk, and does anyone even turn around to look at the annoying piezo siren? I don't. So with all those annoyances and possible problems added...

Someone really, really, smart once said "If they want it, they'll take it":

BIG bike! Small van. About 10 seconds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oSxI3QNDBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Adding a multitude of deterrents seems like a good idea initially, except...

I won't wait for you while you're fumbling in your pockets for three different sets of keys, and a key-fob alarm thing every time you park.

The reality is 99% of disk locks I see on parked bikes are still on the mount not on the disk, and does anyone even turn around to look at the annoying piezo siren? I don't. So with all those annoyances and possible problems added...

Someone really, really, smart once said "If they want it, they'll take it":

BIG bike! Small van. About 10 seconds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oSxI3QNDBQ

Yep, that video is exactly what I was talking about. Any bike that is sitting out can be stolen very easily. Now you could argue carrying a chain and chaining it up, but chains can be cut. So you could argue one of those cold forged steel chains that are supposed to be nearly uncuttable, but they weigh a ton and cost a ton, and you have to carry that heavy chain with you wherever you go?

Cooter has it right, low-deductible insurance is the best bet. That, and common sense. Mine is stored in my garage when I'm at home, when I ride it to work it's in a constantly patrolled parking garage that requires a key-code to get into. 90% of my riding times are for the sole purpose of riding though, not as transportation, so my bike isn't normally sitting out anywhere. But if I DO ride it to a restaurant or public place, I make sure it is somewhere very visible near a high-traffic area. A thief would much rather steal a bike from a side of a building that has no cameras and no people, than from the front of a busy parking lot where people can all see him.

Haha well, that's exactly what happened to my CBR. Disappeared in 10 sec - I was watching it from the balcony of a friend, went in to fill my cup up, and... gone.

But yeah, if they want it, they'll take it - very true. Have you guys looked at GPS trackers? I spent some time on it, really can't find any good solution (either monthly payment that are too expensive, or just cheap as f. and doesn't look so reliable).

Quote Originally Posted by herwawan View Post
    Haha well, that's exactly what happened to my CBR. Disappeared in 10 sec - I was watching it from the balcony of a friend, went in to fill my cup up, and... gone.

But yeah, if they want it, they'll take it - very true. Have you guys looked at GPS trackers? I spent some time on it, really can't find any good solution (either monthly payment that are too expensive, or just cheap as f. and doesn't look so reliable).
    Dang man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

I did at one point look into it, but again, you're paying per month for that service and it's not fool proof by any means. And even if the police can locate your bike by GPS, do you really want it back if it's been beaten up, cut apart for parts or such? That money could go towards a low deductible insurance policy, so if the bike gets stolen, you just get a new one instead of getting yours back that most likely has had some abuse from the guy who stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    Dang man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

I did at one point look into it, but again, you're paying per month for that service and it's not fool proof by any means. And even if the police can locate your bike by GPS, do you really want it back if it's been beaten up, cut apart for parts or such? That money could go towards a low deductible insurance policy, so if the bike gets stolen, you just get a new one instead of getting yours back that most likely has had some abuse from the guy who stole it.
    True! The worst was the police found it one day before the insurance declares it lost for good. The thing was in such a bad shape, pretty horrible. I had to go pick it up at the tow company and wait for a truck there to bring it to the shop. And because it was brand new at the time (less than a year), they still fixed it. 90% of the original price in repairs, they even changed the frame - but because the only spare one in Europe was bent, they had to get one from the USA (I was living in France at the time), it took them 4 months to fix it. The repairs order was 7 pages long, I still have a picture somewhere from it (literally, everything was new).

So yeah, all that to say, losing a bike sucks and it's all about what makes the most financial sense at the end of the day!

Quick update:

I've been distracted working on my wife's bike project (Buell Blast that we made a custom exhaust for, velocity stack intake, custom made tail, lots of hiding and rerouting wiring and such, and sanding, priming, and painting). So it's been taking me a while to button up the last few odds and ends on my bike! Plus I may or may not have gotten distracted working on getting the C3 Vette ready to run for the spring... too many projects for someone like me who doesn't have enough time/money.

SO! I've been riding around with the really low clip ons for a bit (below the triple tree) and while they ARE manageable (and very similar in body position to what was on my last bike, Triumph Daytona 675) I think I want to try to make the bike a TINY bit more comfortable while still keeping that long, low, sleek look that clip ons lend it. It really isn't THAT bad at all, especially for someone like me who rarely is on the interstate for long, my bike is used almost exclusively for fun rides on twisty back roads.

So I made a deal with a guy on the facebook group and sold my lightning headlight/fly screen for some cash and his firebolt upper triple and bars. The firebolt bars should be slightly higher than my clip ons, and have a little less downward angle to them which would be a little more comfortable. I'm gonna give them a try and then decide which ones to keep, the others will be up for sale here and on the facebook group if anyone is interested! I'll be sure to update here with pictures/opinions for anyone who is considering this in the future.

Also also, my wife made a cool little thing for the RFID ignition. She took some black elastic-y material, measured my wrist, and made a sort of wrist-band key. It has the little RFID chip sewn inside of it. So I just slip the wrist band on when I want to go ride!

20180325_093440.jpg

And finally, couple quick pics of the bike because I am so ate up with how it looks (one of these days I will ACTUALLY clean it and have someone who ACTUALLY knows how to use a camera take pictures of it):

20180323_172100.jpg

20180323_172104.jpg

So, did you crack open the blue fobs to get the transponder chip out? I'm guessing its the same blue fobs that I got with mine.

What are you overall impressions of the RFID kit mod? I keep looking at mine and threatening to install it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    So, did you crack open the blue fobs to get the transponder chip out? I'm guessing its the same blue fobs that I got with mine.

What are you overall impressions of the RFID kit mod? I keep looking at mine and threatening to install it as well.
    No, she kept them in tact. If yours and mine are the same, they are only about 1/4" thick and maybe 3/4" long, so pretty easy to hide inside the band. I can get better pictures tonight if you want, but it's pretty flat and I can barely notice it on my wrist.

I LOVE it so far. Having the wristband key was the best part so far. It's cool being keyless, but the first couple rides I had the blue fob in my jacket pocket which was kind of a pain if I stopped anywhere because the process was then: take off gloves, unzip pocket, scan key fob, zip pocket back up, gloves back on. Now the process is way shorter: wave wrist over tank (where the RFID receiver is).

Plus in my case with a non-stock front end, it is much cleaner not having a keyed ignition sticking out anywhere.

If you do install it and get lost anywhere, let me know and I'll take pictures. Since it looks like we have a very similar kit, I can probably just show you where I connected what wires.

I definitely want to get a keyless gas cap now though... anyone know of any inexpensive ones? All I can find are $100+... or is there a simple way to make the stock gascap keyless? Been trying to brainstorm that, but all I can think of is cutting down the stock key and welding a small "grip" piece on it so I can just turn it to unlock it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast