Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 07 XB12SS Build

Ok got everything buttoned up on the RFID and the rest of the build. Took it out for the first test-ride! Here's some pics (i'll try to get some more once I clean up the bike, just didn't have time this weekend).

At this points the bike is about 98% done. Just a couple loose ends to work out.

Let me know what you think!

20180316_184559.jpg

20180316_184617.jpg

20180316_184623.jpg

20180316_184629.jpg

20180316_184633.jpg

That looks really nice! How comfortable are you with the clip-ons?

Very nicely done !
    Best of luck with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    That looks really nice! How comfortable are you with the clip-ons?
    Thanks, and thanks for your help!

I'll have to update you on that once I get a chance to do a bit more of a ride. So far I've pretty much just putted it down the street (it was raining the day I took it out, but after a couple months of working on it and cold weather I had to at least test it haha). The comfort level didn't feel any worse than the Daytona 675 I had before this. Possibly a bit better. The clip ons do hit the tank at full lock, which obviously reduces turning radius a bit. But I would say the turning radius is now about on par with other sport bikes I've ridden (I would have considered the turning radius "exceptional" when it used to have higher bars).

Once I get a real ride in (hopefully this week) I'll update this thread!

Impressive work! I love the rear LED, it looks really good. Did you get it from here:

http://www.radiantz.com/Blaylock-you...ght-p/1988.htm ?

Also, I'm curious about the RFID system. You still need the key to lock the steering, right?

No worries Modrummer, glad to help and happy it worked out for ya.

You inspired me to get another RFID system I'm going to try to make it plug n' play with Buell connectors, because I'm a dork...

herwawan: He removed the lock cylinder to fit the clip-ons, so he no longer has a steering lock. But to answer your question, yes. I don't personally lock mine ever, but you could just unplug the ignition, leave your key in it 100% of the time and lock the steering (and take the key) whenever you felt like it.

Quote Originally Posted by herwawan View Post
    Impressive work! I love the rear LED, it looks really good. Did you get it from here:

http://www.radiantz.com/Blaylock-you...ght-p/1988.htm ?

Also, I'm curious about the RFID system. You still need the key to lock the steering, right?
    Nope, Mine was just a cheap one from Amazon. Works perfectly and is crazy bright!

I got my inspiration from TPEHAK on this forum ( https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...rom-stock-tail ) and I believe he uses a Radiantz LED strip.

So in my case I got rid of the stock steering lock ignition cylinder, so I no longer have the abillity to lock my steering. But that wouldn't have been necessary except that I needed the clearance for my clip-ons/headlight setup. On a normal bike you could retain your steering lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    No worries Modrummer, glad to help and happy it worked out for ya.

You inspired me to get another RFID system I'm going to try to make it plug n' play with Buell connectors, because I'm a dork...

herwawan: He removed the lock cylinder to fit the clip-ons, so he no longer has a steering lock. But to answer your question, yes. I don't personally lock mine ever, but you could just unplug the ignition, leave your key in it 100% of the time and lock the steering (and take the key) whenever you felt like it.
    Haha awesome! That would be pretty cool. I bet alot of people would start using RFID ignitions on bikes if it was all plug and play. The scariest part is cutting the stock harness (at least in my case because I'm a noob with electronics).

Got it. I am not sure this is keeping the bike that safe, but I would have a hard time getting rid of it (while street parking and so on). But maybe it isn’t a big deal!

I remember when I saw the RFID system on the 47 Robin and thought: “I need this. Now.” But it definitely requires a lot of work to adapt our bikes. Again, great job!

Quote Originally Posted by herwawan View Post
    Got it. I am not sure this is keeping the bike that safe, but I would have a hard time getting rid of it (while street parking and so on). But maybe it isn’t a big deal!

I remember when I saw the RFID system on the 47 Robin and thought: “I need this. Now.” But it definitely requires a lot of work to adapt our bikes. Again, great job!
    That was my thought. While I would definitely PREFER to have a steering lock, I rarely use mine, so I don't feel like I gave anything up. And to be realistic, if you've ever seen a video of someone stealing a bike with a steering lock... it's scary how fast they can break it. Like a couple seconds. Plus it's still just as easy for a couple guys to lift it into a van or truck.

My bike is stored in a garage unless I'm riding it, and I never leave it out anywhere out of sight (besides like going into a restaurant or somewhere public like that), so I don't feel like I gave up any inherent safety, and I definitely made my bike harder to hot-wire!

It is pretty sweet once you get it working right! I'm loving it. And in reality, if you are any good with wiring, you'll manage it much easier than I did. Now that I UNDERSTAND how it works and understand what wire does what, I feel I could install an RFID on a Buell in a couple hours pretty easily. The learning curve for me was steep because I really had a misunderstanding on what the RFID unit itself was doing.

Thanks!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast