Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 07 XB12SS Build

Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    Ok so because I'm pretty dumb and learning, would it not work with my current RFID to just have the tag turn the bike power on and off? So basically "swiping" the RFID tag turns the bike on (lights, gauges, etc... and then you can just press the starter button). Swiping it again turns everything back off. Seems like that would be fairly simple. I would have to mount the RFID reader somewhere out of the way so I couldn't accidentally turn it off while riding (possibly in the tail section somewhere?

If I am totally misunderstanding that let me know
    I think its a proximity thing more than a swipe that activates/deactivates the ignition. I did a bit of reading on these, and one person is recommending to make sure to keep the RFID chip far from the bike when parked, so it doesnt activate the ignition intentionally. I've ordered one for my project bike and will *hopefully* get it installed next week. I'm going to copy Cooter and just wire the start switch to the factory one on the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    I wouldn't mind having a spare headlight housing if it's cheap enough (I mean the actual headlights)
    PM coming your way

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I think its a proximity thing more than a swipe that activates/deactivates the ignition. I did a bit of reading on these, and one person is recommending to make sure to keep the RFID chip far from the bike when parked, so it doesnt activate the ignition intentionally. I've ordered one for my project bike and will *hopefully* get it installed next week. I'm going to copy Cooter and just wire the start switch to the factory one on the throttle.
    Interesting, and makes some sense. I was thinking about wiring the reciever into the tail section, and since it only has a couple inch range, there shouldn't be much risk of the biking turning on or off unless I put the chip DIRECTLY on the tail piece.

That said, I am also planning to do the Cooter method. After doing some more reading I ended up ordering the RFID kit he reccomended and I plan to wire it up with the starter button being the ignition on, while keeping the kill switch wired in for a little extra safety.

Ok cooter, I have the RFID kit you recommended in front of me!
    Most of the wiring makes sense, however I don't see where the RFID chip comes into play? The kit didn't include one, and I'm not sure where I would wire it in?

20180307_164859.jpg

This is everything it came with.

I have no idea if that exact link I posted is even RFID? Did it say it was? I simply grabbed the first thing I saw to show the wiring process for the starter button.

Just now, I went to eBay and typed "RFID push button start"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-12V-Eng....c100005.m1851

I read the description. It has the RFID chips (Blue things) and the sensor (loop thing) and the push button start (button). I believe thats what you want, but read the description before you buy it to make sure.
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-07-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I have no idea if that exact link I posted is even RFID? Did it say it was? I simply grabbed the first thing I saw to show the wiring process for the starter button.

Just now, I went to eBay and typed "RFID push button start"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-12V-Eng....c100005.m1851

I read the description. It has the RFID chips (Blue things) and the sensor (loop thing) and the push button start (button). I believe thats what you want, but read the description before you buy it to make sure.
    Dangit, I should have paid more attention...

Ok so it looks like the one I got isn't RFID, but the rest of the wiring is identical, just doesn't have the RFID receiver part. Would it be possible to use the RFID kit that I have (posted a page back in this thread ) between the 12v signal and this engine start kit so that the RFID would just "unlock" the engine start kit setup? Sorry if I explained that weird.

I feel dumb

Screw it, played with the wiring and decided there's no way I'm making two boxes fit anyway. Found an Amazon seller who has the correct RFID push button kit with free one day shipping so should be here tomorrow.

Sorry for the noobishness cooter!

No worries I'm happy to help. Let me know when you get it.

I received mine the other day and it has the blue transponders. I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

From what it seems, the instructions (written in the finest Chinglish) indicate to touch the transponder in the center of the sensor loop to activate it. I shelved it for awhile until I can get the bike off jackstands and back on the ground.

Thats right. You can carefully take the wire out of the plastic loop to fit it somewhere like the handlebar control switch box.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast