Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big issue after adding oil

Big issue after adding oil

I had checked to see if the oil level was fine, and it seemed really low, so I added more oil.

but a few hours later in the day of hard riding, I heard a sudden and loud sound like a lot of air releasing and I could hear the engine differently.
    I see oil leaking from around the oil filter area. I felt a 70% loss in power

I am new to working on buells and the issues that can come up. or how to trouble shoot it

I am riding a 2003 XB9s with 31100 miles, no issues before yesterdays adding of extra oil. I did an oil change not very long ago, followed a buell instruction video to do so, with the correct amount of oil, so it all seemed fine since then, until checking the dip stick showed little to no oil in the oil pan.

The sound, I am not sure where exactly it came from as I was on riding at the time, but it sounds as though it is somewhere near the airbox or front of the engine (I'll record a video of it), the engine oil pressure light did not turn on, and the light doesn't turn on after the bike is started either at the moment.
    Last edited by bassX6; 01-16-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Needed information

Inactive
    this really has the aroma and flavor of our beloved CHICAGO written all over it. for the moment i'll assume it's legit and suggest you try the below. crap shoot as you failed to mention mileage...any recent glitches or problems right before this episode...how much oil you added....failure to describe the "sound" you heard....failure to mention the location of the air being "released"....failure to mention an active "trouble code warning light"....failure to mention whether or not oil pressure warning light was activated.

1-you need to establish a starting point----a baseline if you will. park bike on side stand....remove swingarm drain plug....drain oil...remove factory lower cowling (7 screws)...remove oil filter. let filter mount and swingarm drain for at least 1/2 hour.
    2-install new filter....install drain plug with new O-ring on it....install EXACTLY 2-1/2 QUARTS of correct type and viscosity oil....install cowling....now start and check that your dashboard oil pressure warning light extinguishes. if so ride it gently and see what you now have.
    3-if your dashboard oil pressure light does NOT extinguish shut off motor....remove swingarm fill cap/dipstick assembly and restart motor letting it idle at 1000rpm. this method "burps" an air-bound oiling system. if oil pressure light stays on after approx. 20-30 seconds then immediately shut off motor and do NOT start it again. you have a serious problem that will need tended to by a qualified buell/sportster tech.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 01-16-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    this really has the aroma and flavor of our beloved CHICAGO written all over it. for the moment i'll assume it's legit and suggest you try the below. crap shoot as you failed to mention mileage...any recent glitches or problems right before this episode...how much oil you added....failure to describe the "sound" you heard....failure to mention the location of the air being "released"....failure to mention an active "trouble code warning light"....failure to mention whether or not oil pressure warning light was activated.

1-you need to establish a starting point----a baseline if you will. park bike on side stand....remove swingarm drain plug....drain oil...remove factory lower cowling (7 screws)...remove oil filter. let filter mount and swingarm drain for at least 1/2 hour.
    2-install new filter....install drain plug with new O-ring on it....install EXACTLY 2-1/2 QUARTS of correct type and viscosity oil....install cowling....now start and check that your dashboard oil pressure warning light extinguishes. if so ride it gently and see what you now have.
    3-if your dashboard oil pressure light does NOT extinguish shut off motor....remove swingarm fill cap/dipstick assembly and restart motor letting it idle at 1000rpm. this method "burps" an air-bound oiling system. if oil pressure light stays on after approx. 20-30 seconds then immediately shut off motor and do NOT start it again. you have a serious problem that will need tended to by a qualified buell/sportster tech.
    I will start to inspect the bike of the things you mentioned now, I'll post an update with more detail.

Can you share a few pics , it might be helpful.

Make sure you're checking the dipstick with the bike on its side stand after the engine has been shut off for a few minutes. It takes a while for oil to drain back into the tank. The dipstick is calibrated to use with the bike leaned onto the side stand, NOT UPRIGHT.

Sorry if this is really obvious, just covering some simple basics that are weird to people new to Buells.

Chicago you sob!

The newbie diagnosis

So, upon taking a closer look, air is being pushed out from above the engines front, underneath the airbox, oil is leaking from a small tube it seems near the oil filter, it sounds as though only 1 piston is firing off, and the RPM stays under 1k, I smell a strong scent of what seems like oil when the motorcycle is running.

20180116_172328.jpg

where the air is coming from.

https://youtu.be/v-i0E6nzRO4

how it sounds turning on

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty SS View Post
    Make sure you're checking the dipstick with the bike on its side stand after the engine has been shut off for a few minutes. It takes a while for oil to drain back into the tank. The dipstick is calibrated to use with the bike leaned onto the side stand, NOT UPRIGHT.

Sorry if this is really obvious, just covering some simple basics that are weird to people new to Buells.

Ah, that's something I didn't do when I checked the oil...

I didn't know it took longer than I waited for it to drain back, I'm learning haha

Also, can someone fill me on on Chicago? who is that?

Quote Originally Posted by bassX6 View Post
    Also, can someone fill me on on Chicago? who is that?
    Not good dont go there!!!!! Let it go .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast