Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big issue after adding oil

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Red loctite on spark plug threads!?! OH! Nonononononononononononono.

On clean threads.
    Red loctite, is for stuff you NEVER, EVER, want to come apart again.
    Blue loctite is for stuff you don't want to come loose.
    Anti-sieze is for spark plug threads.

I have no idea why it pushed out a plug, other than improper torque/bad threads. Heat and vibration are a b**ch. New plug, new washer, and torque to spec. Check it on occasion.

Yes, if you don't take out the extra oil, It will come out on it's own. While you are riding. All over your back tire.
    Duly noted, I'll get anti-seize for the spark plugs. I hope the rear plug isn't going to be impossible to take out now

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    As Cooter said ^^^^^^^^^

Anti-sieze is for spark plug threads.

The plug was tighten properly when it was installed.
    It was tightened pretty tight, so it perplexes me haha

You will need to take your air box and base off to get to it , with a socket ,extension, and a swivel 3/8 drive.

Bible http://buellmods.com/
    Last edited by Silverrider; 01-20-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassX6 View Post
    Duly noted, I'll get anti-seize for the spark plugs. I hope the rear plug isn't going to be impossible to take out now

It was tightened pretty tight, so it perplexes me haha
    Can you quantify (tightened pretty tight,) for me ? LOL

Well, he said the magic "and tightened it to spec, so"... which means that didn't happen at all lol.

Bassx6, put on gloves and warm the engine first (a couple minutes at idle should be fine) if the plug is hard to remove...STOP! And heat the area further before continuing, otherwise the next thread you post will be; 'Help! I need a cylinder head!'

In the helpful link Silver provided, go to section 1.14 (page 1-37) and the spark plug torque spec is 11-18ft-lbs. Thats not "tightened pretty tight" at all, but is plenty to keep a 5/8" tapered plug in place for the 5,000 mile recommended inspection interval.

I know reading seems boring, but unless you have way more motorcycle repair experience that you seem to (no offense), the best way to save yourself money, time, and frustration is to peruse the info provided to you already in this thread. Good luck man
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-20-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Well, he said the magic "and tightened it to spec, so"... which means that didn't happen at all lol.

Bassx6, put on gloves and warm the engine first (a couple minutes at idle should be fine) if the plug is hard to remove...STOP! And heat the area further before continuing, otherwise the next thread you post will be; 'Help! I need a cylinder head!'

In the helpful link Silver provided, go to section 1.14 (page 1-37) and the spark plug torque spec is 11-18ft-lbs. Thats not "tightened pretty tight" at all, but is plenty to keep a 5/8" tapered plug in place for the 5,000 mile recommended inspection interval.

I know reading seems boring, but unless you have way more motorcycle repair experience that you seem to (no offense), the best way to save yourself money, time, and frustration is to peruse the info provided to you already in this thread. Good luck man
    I'll be learning everything I can here, I am a newbie among more experience buellers
    as you can tell from my "tightened to spec" experience, I still have much to learn

No offense taken haha

Inactive
    i'm going to suggest something here that was priceless to me during my "whipper-snapper" years. the suggestion? GET HELP!
    you'll be diving into a complex and tedious "area" of an XB.....the under-airbox components. what you now have going on is a front cylinder blown-out spark plug...a rear cylinder plug that needs to be removed and replaced for good measure....stored fault codes...probably bad plug wires....perhaps more. NOT being overly-critical here....that is NOT my intent...but your prior posts indicate both a clear lack of knowledge and experience. you'll need a pair of NGK DCPR9EIX plugs...some torx drivers in assorted sizes...a dedicated 3/8th drive plug socket....and a combo of straight 3/8th drive extensions, the driver, and a swivel. everything from the airbox cover down to and including the airbox base plate must be removed so that not only the rear plug can be properly removed and new installed but that the coil assembly as well as the wiring harness AND both plug wires can be carefully inspected. your front plug is simple: a 5/8th box wrench is all that's required along with removing factory air scoop(quantity 3 small torx). all this is tedious but very satisfying work with great results when properly performed. do yourself a favor and search out a competent local guy with some sportster/big-twin experience that can lend you 2 hours worth of assistance @ a reasonable cost. best $ you'll ever spend. in all probability you also have multiple stored fault codes...16&24 come to mind. though they'll self-clear after 50 trouble-free duty cycles you'll still need to eventually take a look at your ecu. do as you please but offering sound advice that typically ends up with great results. also if you could forego the "haha" valediction on your responses us old bastards would be most appreciative.

Get plug wire pliers for that rear plug. Best tool money I've spent in the last couple of years (honestly never needed them before, but I don't know how I'd have gotten the rear plug boot on or off without them.)

Put it in using a bit of fuel hose over the insulator so you're sure you're not cross threading it.

There is a very good you tube primer someone linked to already I think...

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    i'm going to suggest something here that was priceless to me during my "whipper-snapper" years. the suggestion? GET HELP!
    you'll be diving into a complex and tedious "area" of an XB.....the under-airbox components. what you now have going on is a front cylinder blown-out spark plug...a rear cylinder plug that needs to be removed and replaced for good measure....stored fault codes...probably bad plug wires....perhaps more. NOT being overly-critical here....that is NOT my intent...but your prior posts indicate both a clear lack of knowledge and experience. you'll need a pair of NGK DCPR9EIX plugs...some torx drivers in assorted sizes...a dedicated 3/8th drive plug socket....and a combo of straight 3/8th drive extensions, the driver, and a swivel. everything from the airbox cover down to and including the airbox base plate must be removed so that not only the rear plug can be properly removed and new installed but that the coil assembly as well as the wiring harness AND both plug wires can be carefully inspected. your front plug is simple: a 5/8th box wrench is all that's required along with removing factory air scoop(quantity 3 small torx). all this is tedious but very satisfying work with great results when properly performed. do yourself a favor and search out a competent local guy with some sportster/big-twin experience that can lend you 2 hours worth of assistance @ a reasonable cost. best $ you'll ever spend. in all probability you also have multiple stored fault codes...16&24 come to mind. though they'll self-clear after 50 trouble-free duty cycles you'll still need to eventually take a look at your ecu. do as you please but offering sound advice that typically ends up with great results. also if you could forego the "haha" valediction on your responses us old bastards would be most appreciative.
    Thank you for all the advice, I'll definitely heed this and learn from it, in time I hope to be able to apply everything I learn from you all, so I appreciate the constructive criticism and help

also, Duly noted, I'll keep that in mind for my responses

Good luck man, and post up what happens

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123