Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xb9sXBUELLXb9sX's - 2000 Buell X1 Lightning Build Thread

I agree! This bike has really impressed me with the little riding I've done with it. Compared to my XB9SX, this bike has a "raw" and simple feel to it that makes it much more fun to ride.

And you may have spotted the water, but you missed that it was still sealed... I had to be drinking something... Just sayin!

Had a friend of mine weld up the crack for me in exchange for a case of Mountain Dew [I think it was a win-win]. Repair turned out great. Now I have to decide what I'm going to replace the Vance and Hines exhaust with...

Last edited by Xb9sXBUELLXb9sX; 01-24-2018 at 02:33 AM.

Couldn't agree more. My preconceived notions of trusting a 20 year old bastard (sorry/true) bike and the resulting joy and trust it earned from me were a large part of the trips success.
    There is no denying they are top notch capable and fun, to this day. Thats a feat thats very impressive in itself! While everybody scrambles for the last HP point, latest greatest computer wizardry, or whiz bang features... the tubers have their cult following for a very legitimate reason. #Respect

Don't worry, I drink water too! Lol. Just a sip. Right after sipping something else from the backwoods of Tennessee (or Kentucky)
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-24-2018 at 03:00 AM.

Did you remove the rivet plate on the clutch and replace with another clutch plate? Primary/Trans gets hammered when they come part. What about the ecm?

Quote Originally Posted by bsd View Post
    Did you remove the rivet plate on the clutch and replace with another clutch plate? Primary/Trans gets hammered when they come part. What about the ecm?
    I did not, I honestly do not know about this. Can you fill me in?

Is there anything else I need to look out for in the primary? Only want to go back in there once...

And it does have a Race ECM on it.
    Last edited by Xb9sXBUELLXb9sX; 01-26-2018 at 03:59 AM.

The stock clutch has 8 fiber and 6 steel plates with the rivet plate in the middle. The upgrade kit eliminates the rivet plate and has more plates to make up space. The stock pressure plate is fine. No need of a 15% or more pressure plate on a lightly modded motor. Your clutch hand will thank you. The left side air scoop that is missing on your bike really helps cool down the rear cylinder too. And you have a very nice looking bike. I have two 99 X1 and like them alot. The word (raw) is exactly how I describe them compared to the newer XB bikes.

Well, with some advice in the previous posts, I decided to take the primary cover back off and replace the clutch with an extra plate clutch kit from Energy One Performance. Though the mileage on this engine is much less than the typical failure point on the grenade plate [I found anywhere between 10000mi up to 18000mi based on my search] I figured I'd take care of this before anything comes close to happening. This kit came with the clutch tool. With this upgrade I decided to buy the updated front exhaust mount hanger [which happened to be new in box], clutch circlip, circlip seat, and new primary chain tensioner sealing nut.

Last edited by Xb9sXBUELLXb9sX; 02-11-2018 at 11:32 PM.

The clutch came out easy with the supplied clutch tool.

And the clutch plates and spring plate, as well as the basket, looked great. It could have lasted quite a while longer, but replacement is cheap insurance.

Last edited by Xb9sXBUELLXb9sX; 02-11-2018 at 11:20 PM.

It all installed easily and I opted for the 15% stronger diaphragm spring because I like a stiff clutch.

Buttoned it all back up and filled with Harley Davidson Primary Oil, as recommended by Energy One. Even opted for some chrome case bolts for a little extra bling.

Last edited by Xb9sXBUELLXb9sX; 02-11-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast