Thread: XB 12ss Handlebars swap?

XB 12ss Handlebars swap?

Hi all, new to this forum so ill get to the point. Can you put a firebolt triple tree on a lighting? I like the lower bar look over standard XB12ss bars. Is this a stupid idea? Is there issues by doing this. Would clubmen bars be better? I just need to strech out abit on her, long arms i guess. Any suggestions please.

Yes. Or look for "crossroads bars" for a bolt-on clip-on set-up.
    No.
    No.
    They are farther forward, so maybe? I'm tall too and had some on my CR and the angle of the grips killed my wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    No.
    No.
    They are farther forward, so maybe? I'm tall too and had some on my CR and the angle of the grips killed my wrists.
    Thanks Cooter, really appreciate your advice.

No worries Mick. If swapping to Renthal RC super lows aren't low enough, then Clip-ons are the next step. I'll say they do help tremendously for serious cornering on a very capable XBSs frame and really accentuate the hump back airbox to look mean as Hell.

We put 53mm fork clamp clip-ons under the top triple on this one. The seat height is as high as a Uly and still comfy for many many miles.

Quote Originally Posted by XB Mick View Post
    Hi all, new to this forum so ill get to the point. Can you put a firebolt triple tree on a lighting? I like the lower bar look over standard XB12ss bars. Is this a stupid idea? Is there issues by doing this. Would clubmen bars be better? I just need to strech out abit on her, long arms i guess. Any suggestions please.
    I'm in the process of putting clip ons (aftermarket) on my XB12SS, but I was originally planning to use the Firebolt upper clamp and clip ons. If you google around , there are a couple guides on how to do it. Essentially, the only "trouble" areas on the Firebolt clamp are that you have to grind off the ignition loop, and you need to fab up a small bracket to bolt to the firebolt clamp since the lightning gauges etc... bolt to the upper clamp.

Other than that, you MAY need to use shorter clutch cable/ brake line depending on your routing. And I've seen some people say you need a smaller master cylinder to clear the flyscreen area (or just space it out).

Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    I'm in the process of putting clip ons (aftermarket) on my XB12SS, but I was originally planning to use the Firebolt upper clamp and clip ons. If you google around , there are a couple guides on how to do it. Essentially, the only "trouble" areas on the Firebolt clamp are that you have to grind off the ignition loop, and you need to fab up a small bracket to bolt to the firebolt clamp since the lightning gauges etc... bolt to the upper clamp.

Other than that, you MAY need to use shorter clutch cable/ brake line depending on your routing. And I've seen some people say you need a smaller master cylinder to clear the flyscreen area (or just space it out).
    Thanks modrummer for the detailed advice. I am fairly new to the Buell world but am totally hooked!
    This site with all you knowledgeable Buell guys has given me the confidence to customize my XB12ss. Thanks to all of you.
    XB Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    No.
    No.
    I was looking at my XB12S with Crossroads bars on them... It looks like if I put some clubman bars like the ones on the 1125CR it would put the hands in about the same place. Does that sound about right?

I think the bars at the base of the grips are farther forward and slightly lower? The angle of them was bad for me. When I naturally lean forward to grip them, my index finger/thumb would hit the grip first so my wrists would have to bend inward to grab them. It's a bummer because I really liked the look of them, but couldn't ride far and I'm not normally sensitive to bars at all...

IMG_1655 by Cooter!, on FlickrIMG_1657 by Cooter!, on FlickrIMG_1658 by Cooter!, on FlickrIMG_1662 by Cooter!, on Flickr

Yes Cooter thats just the look i am after but by looking at the angle i can imagine it would get uncomfortable. So its a dilemma! Looks over comfort! Been the story of my life! Probably why I'm broke lol. Sure had some fun but!!! Please keep giving your opinions guys, not many Buell riders here in Aussie land to talk too. In fact the whole time I've had her, haven't seen one on the road!! She sure gets some looks.