Thread: XB9R High AFV Need Help

Threaded View

XB9R High AFV Need Help

Just picked up a 2003 Buell XB9R a week ago. Here are the specs of the bike which I was told by the previous owner:

Ported and decked heads by NRHS
    Ported 49MM XB12 Manifold by NRHS
    Bronze Manganese oil pump drive gear
    Micron exhuast
    04-Up belt conversion

The bike has 31K miles - the engine work was done about 4K miles ago - less than a year ago.

When I drove the bike home I noticed some hesitation at WOT around 4-6K RPM. Otherwise the bike ran great at anything other than WOT. It almost seemed to run best at 90 percent throttle.

I ordered a Buelltooth and hooked it up to do a TPS reset since I thought that could be related to the hesitation.

Before the TPS reset, ECMDroid showed the AFV at 115. I reset the TPS and checked the rear spark plug which appeared to be in good condition.

The battery is good - it is kept on a tender and I have checked it after letting it sit a few with a volt meter.

I also checked the wire grounds and put a little dielectric grease on each.

After resetting the TPS I let the bike warm up and went for a ride. I did several WOT pulls and the hesitation seemed to be reduced but was still occasionally there.

I checked it today on ECMDroid and found that the AFV is now showing 121.4. I let the bike idle and sprayed carb cleaner around the intake seals and had no change in RPM so they appear to be good -especially since they were probably replaced when the engine work was done.

It is not showing any past or present trouble codes.

Where do I go from here?

Is it possible I did not reset the TPS correctly and made things worse?

Or is something likely wrong with my Fuel pump or maybe clogged injectors?

Should the AFV be closer to 100 even after multiple WOT pulls?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by 03XB9R18; 01-28-2018 at 09:39 PM.