Thread: XB9R High AFV Need Help

XB9R High AFV Need Help

Just picked up a 2003 Buell XB9R a week ago. Here are the specs of the bike which I was told by the previous owner:

Ported and decked heads by NRHS
    Ported 49MM XB12 Manifold by NRHS
    Bronze Manganese oil pump drive gear
    Micron exhuast
    04-Up belt conversion

The bike has 31K miles - the engine work was done about 4K miles ago - less than a year ago.

When I drove the bike home I noticed some hesitation at WOT around 4-6K RPM. Otherwise the bike ran great at anything other than WOT. It almost seemed to run best at 90 percent throttle.

I ordered a Buelltooth and hooked it up to do a TPS reset since I thought that could be related to the hesitation.

Before the TPS reset, ECMDroid showed the AFV at 115. I reset the TPS and checked the rear spark plug which appeared to be in good condition.

The battery is good - it is kept on a tender and I have checked it after letting it sit a few with a volt meter.

I also checked the wire grounds and put a little dielectric grease on each.

After resetting the TPS I let the bike warm up and went for a ride. I did several WOT pulls and the hesitation seemed to be reduced but was still occasionally there.

I checked it today on ECMDroid and found that the AFV is now showing 121.4. I let the bike idle and sprayed carb cleaner around the intake seals and had no change in RPM so they appear to be good -especially since they were probably replaced when the engine work was done.

It is not showing any past or present trouble codes.

Where do I go from here?

Is it possible I did not reset the TPS correctly and made things worse?

Or is something likely wrong with my Fuel pump or maybe clogged injectors?

Should the AFV be closer to 100 even after multiple WOT pulls?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by 03XB9R18; 01-28-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Now I'm wondering if the bike is running on the factory ecm "tune" and if the high AFV is because it's adding the fuel needed for the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by 03XB9R18 View Post
    Just picked up a 2003 Buell XB9R a week ago. Here are the specs of the bike which I was told by the previous owner:

Ported and decked heads by NRHS
    Ported 49MM XB12 Manifold by NRHS
    Bronze Manganese oil pump drive gear
    Micron exhuast
    04-Up belt conversion

The bike has 31K miles - the engine work was done about 4K miles ago - less than a year ago.

When I drove the bike home I noticed some hesitation at WOT around 4-6K RPM. Otherwise the bike ran great at anything other than WOT. It almost seemed to run best at 90 percent throttle.

I ordered a Buelltooth and hooked it up to do a TPS reset since I thought that could be related to the hesitation.

Before the TPS reset, ECMDroid showed the AFV at 115. I reset the TPS and checked the rear spark plug which appeared to be in good condition.

The battery is good - it is kept on a tender and I have checked it after letting it sit a few with a volt meter.

I also checked the wire grounds and put a little dielectric grease on each.

After resetting the TPS I let the bike warm up and went for a ride. I did several WOT pulls and the hesitation seemed to be reduced but was still occasionally there.

I checked it today on ECMDroid and found that the AFV is now showing 121.4. I let the bike idle and sprayed carb cleaner around the intake seals and had no change in RPM so they appear to be good -especially since they were probably replaced when the engine work was done.

It is not showing any past or present trouble codes.

Where do I go from here?

Is it possible I did not reset the TPS correctly and made things worse?

Or is something likely wrong with my Fuel pump or maybe clogged injectors?

Should the AFV be closer to 100 even after multiple WOT pulls?

Thanks for any help.

Anything less than a pair of wideband O2 sensors is a waste of time, effort and money. Do yourself a favor and install a pair. The stock sensor only reads +/- 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio, it's either rich or lean from that point only and it can't tell you how much or how little fuel is required.

Given the fact that AFV is calculated in CL (ignoring OLL, which is also clearly visible in the logs), wideband O2 will tell, that the mixture is stoich, and would be a waste of money and effort.
    Everything to adjust the map and fix AFV is shown in the dynamic maps of EcmSpy: http://www.ecmspy.com/ug_mono/V2.0/maps.shtml

http://www.ecmspy.com/ug_mono/V2.0/tuning.shtml

I think my test ride was too short for everything to adjust property. I'm going to go for a long ride today and recheck the AFV . I will report back.

I am pretty sure the bike was tuned after the work was done. Hopefully the TPS reset was the fix.

You have a XB9 with ported heads, ported 12 TB, and a full aftermarket exhaust, and no mention of tuning. Even if it was tuned. I would say everything is working fine, you are getting a lot more air into your bike, so it needs more fuel, hence the high AFV. Like Gunter said, you can use ECMSpMono and looking at the dynamic maps will tell you if the tune is off. Then, tune yourself, or have it tuned, or call up Tim at IDS. You have a very unique setup, any map you find online for free most likely ill not work for you.

I was wondering if the mods would require a higher AFV.

I just went for a 30 minute casual ride - really didn't do any WOT. The bike ran perfect, idled perfect and no popping on decel.

I checked the AFV when I got back and it was still at 121. I figured it would have changed slightly.

I am going to read up on the ECMSpmono and see if I can look at my map.

If there is a problem with the current map I am assuming it would mean the map is set lean and the ECM is raising the AFV to make it richer where it needs to be?

Thanks for everyones help so far.
    Any input is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 03XB9R18 View Post
    If there is a problem with the current map I am assuming it would mean the map is set lean and the ECM is raising the AFV to make it richer where it needs to be?
    Yep