Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: newbie breather mod question: do i need to worry?

Ha. Crap mart.

Hahaha - crapmart!

I picked up an S3 for a great deal because it wouldn’t start. PO even installed a new battery! The spark plugs were totally carboned up from tire kickers! I told the guy I was taking a HUGE RISK (snort) and trailered the bike home. It took me longer to drive to crappy-tire to pick up a fresh set of NGKs than to install them. Bike jumped to life instantly. Gotta love changing plugs on a tubber. Last time I rotated my engine on the XB I did the plugs, total PITA.

The correct weight oil for your bike is the one suited to the lowest ambient temp it will see. In your case it's 10w-40 for anything below 40*.

Service manual page 1-14

You can see the reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    all XB models take the same oil filter. they are EXACTLY the same as 2007 and up toyota yaris/scion with 1.5L motor.
    wix---bosch---k&n----napa---factory OEM all excellent. advise staying away from "house-brand" chinese junk filters.
    cross ref list below
    here ya go:

Mobil 1 # M1-103
    sorry, I intended the main idea of my post to be "a Mobil 1 M1-103a is the same as an M1-103" for others who might have my confusion. This is confirmed on mobil 1's site:
    https://mobiloil.com/en/oil-filters/...ce-oil-filters

the bit about me complaining about heavy oil in cold weather was intended as a relatable "b*tch" comment about me waiting for the funnel to drain that were of no material significance, tho cheers to Cooter who pointed out i *could* run thinner oil (10w40).

it'll be spring soon enough and 20w50 is ok with me for now.

i don't see a big funnel/tube way round the primary fill (that cover/hole is pretty small) but i am equally ok with waiting for it. I found a bigger funnel in the meantime for the oil tank/swingarm.

A quart in the microwave for 30 seconds or so works well too, but don’t let the wife catch you!!

Updating just to close the loop on this one:
    - no further goop-pukin from the reroute-to-breather-filter issues, I'm gonna just leave it as is for now and do a road-draft tube next time i have the airbox bottom off, or maybe just put the breather in a better, higher location pointing up and not down (need more hose for that and i'm kinda not bothered anymore)
    - oil fill worked a treat with the oil inside the house for few hours
    - i should compression test it but honestly it feels plenty strong to me, i'll save that for the next time it's apart enough to do one.

For now i'm back to enjoying a "hit the button and go ride" bike . I cleaned out my walk-in basement and am planning on using the Buell as fuel to get serious about redoing my RD350 and 3 vespas this summer.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me in this thread and others! You guys are great!
    (once you stopped thinking i was "chicago" trolling because i talked about scooters)

Thanks for the post finale. It really helps people searching in the future.

Is this you?

Pimp!

Cooter, that's not me, but it is the reality of a tuned Vespa. They are *stupid* fun, especially the "already wound up and then here comes the pipe hitting" phenomenon!

that's a "smallframe" Vespa, and the cylinder/speed part scene for those is arguably better than my main jam, which was "largeframe" scooters (which have clearance problems in corners, unlike smallframes). Still tho, listen to that thing cackle/burble and then rip on WFO and you've got the whole "tuned scooter" thing.

(also it's sinikL (like cynical) fwiw)

I used to do the Vespa thing back in the 80's and 90's. I had a Primavera 125 and a P200E. RIP Scooterville USA.

We used to call them Fagio's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast