Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy or pass on a non runner

Thanks for that link! Ill keep an eye on it, also got all the local ones locked down. Might have to save some more pennies to go for one farther away.

Inactive
    don't know that you are.....but if you're serious about actually BUYING a decent buell XB then i strongly suggest the below. and for what it's worth the one you commenced this thread as the subject line of is garbage. i wouldn't touch it....period.

1-decide what model you actually want....don't dick around....have cash in hand and ready to buy. serious sellers hate tire-kickers and if you follow the below steps inevitably a few nice bikes surface. be ready to buy when they do.
    2-decide your price ceiling.....model.....highest mileage you can live with.....distance from your locale.....and list a "WTB" ad right on this site. it's free and read world-wide by mostly serious buell enthusiasts and owners such as myself.
    3-with #2 in mind place an ad on your local free sites such as craigslist.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-01-2018 at 12:31 PM.

My 07 SS originally came from Idaho, then he moved to Houston Texas, which is where I bought it from, he was the original owner, low mileage, got it for a little more than what yours is asking for. Had it shipped to NJ,, it was like new ! One of the guys here posted it up for all to see, I bit the bullet and am very happy with it.

Don't let distance get in your way if you see one.

Good luck

I've been known to buy a project once or twice But it's solely because I wanted a project, never because I wanted a bike/boat/car/truck/house.
    Here is what I ask myself before I buy a project to minimize financial loss, frustration, and actually have some fun:

1) You have got to be honest with yourself about your true skill level. Most people over estimate what they can accomplish and I see those ad's all the time. 'unfinished thing for sale... cheap!' and it 'comes with lots of new parts...'. A monkey can take stuff apart, are you the man to put it together?

2) Do you have the time to do it? Are you bored? or always kinda busy right now? If you just had a baby, and dream of spending time in the garage fixing an inoperable bike, you really are dreaming.

3) Do you have the money ready right now for unexpected costs? It may fire up with just some tinkering, but what if it needs a transmission? There is much more to a vehicle than the engine.

4) Do you currently have the effort to finish this project? Are there other things sitting around you could finish first before adding another one to the pile? You have driven past that trailer park along the highway, are you that person?

5) YOU are the one taking the risk. Don't get excited, finish your research/inspection before the sale. Once the seller takes your money for a 'project', it is completely your fault whatever happens next. No whining about 'how they screwed you', they couldn't finish it either. 1000 times I have heard "I could totally do that, I just don't have any tools." PFFFFFT, whatever.

I definitely have the skill, the tools, and the time. I have other bikes, I fix and build all of them, not to mention the day job. I might have to clean one or two up and sell them so I can get into a nicer Buell. I want one just because I always have, but Im dead set on one, preferably an Ss though.

I am going to pass on this one, (Im sure some of you guys have found something you want and gotten tunnel vision, happens) I realized Im not ok with someone whos skill level I dont know replacing a crankshaft and now having issues. If the bike has been that far apart I could see nagging issues lasting the life of the bike.

Time to go build my bike fund

Also thanks for the sound advice guys!

Hyde: Buells are stick-and-wood simple, no doubt you could get her running and if you can't tell, us Buellers are a little uh... passionate.. about them

We'd like to see your first Buell experience to be a good one:

Heck yes on the SS! That's my style and don't forget the STT is the same length but even a little taller
    IMG_1697_zps61496023 by Cooter!, on FlickrIMG_1696_zps90758a9e by Cooter!, on FlickrIMG_1698_zps568ec95b by Cooter!, on Flickr

Theres an Ss in Portland right now with the same color scheme as yours! Havent been building my budget long enough to pull the trigger on it though unfortunately. Im a pretty big guy thats why Im wanting an Ss. A little longer and tall will be just perfect but STT seems to bring a lot more money around here, still half the length of my Valkyrie!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12