Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy or pass on a non runner

Buy or pass on a non runner

Hey guys, new guy here looking at a used 05 XB12S near me. Its had the crank swapped with an 09 and sounds like it hasnt run since the swap. From what Ive found Im guessing its probably a timing issue since the late cranks werent marked. I also havent looked at it in person and Im waiting for the guy to get back to me with some more info so this is just speculation. Would you guys gamble and at what price, or would you run far away.

By the way Im an auto tech by trade, have a few other bikes and always wanted a Buell. Pretty confident in my ability to fix just about anything, but if I pass on this one Ill still be looking for one so figured Id make an account.

IMO, it should be dirt cheap; good running, clean examples seem to stay around forever if they're over $3000. The engine is mostly Sportster

I would make sure the valves aren't bent, that it does have good compression, as I'm sure you know. Anything else can be fixed pretty easily, as a car tech, you'll definitely be o.k. The guys here can also be very helpful, so don't hesitate to ask, they know many shortcut's.

He has it listed for $2500, no way I would even consider paying that much for one thats not running. The rest of the bike looks reasonably clean though, if I can talk him down a long ways and get some time to inspect I might go for it. Hardly any Buells at all for sale within 1000 miles of me right now though

That is a lot of money for a 12 year old bike that doesn't run. You don't know if the trans, charging system, clutch, fuel system, etc is ok. Rare or not, I'd only gamble what I'm willing to lose. If you are even just a fair auto tech, you'll probably get it running, but remember you are the one taking ALL the risk, make it worth your while

We are here to help with the specifics. Curious, whats your location? There's a bunch of Buells left that run just fine, and shipping is cheap.

North Idaho, guy never responded to me anyway so probably wasnt meant to be! Will keep on the lookout to join the club though, more bikes will be going up for sale in the coming months.

If the chassis is in good condition and you're willing to take on a project, I would think that something under $1200 for a non-runner would be reasonable. Not exactly sure where the $2500 asking figure is coming from. They're excellent machines however, and if the engine has the larger diameter crank journal from the '09 I'd say that's a bonus.

Not that is matters now. But as mentioned above, $2500 is way too much for a non-running parts bike. I regularly see running Buells for $2500-3000 asking price. In fact, I bought my 2004 12S for $2500 5 years ago. It had a scrapped up swing arm (bought one on Ebay for $50-75) and scratches on the frame. He also took half the value in trade for a couple of pistols.

Keep an eye out, particularly during the winter when bikes are cheap. Here in AZ summer is when you buy bikes cheap, I bought mine in June right before the heat, so the guy knew I was probably the last one serious about it before summer.

Ok couple more details came through, I thought it was an 09 crank but its a "new" 07 crank, didnt 07s have issues? Also it will run for about a minute then die, if I can hear it run for that long Id be more likely to bite though still not at his asking price.

The problem isn't the bike. Sure, you can probably get it running for no-one-knows how much effort, time and money.

You'll still need to talk him waaaay down to be realistic. That means in your eyes; he's an idiot for asking to much, and in his eyes you're an idiot for offering half what he's asking.

It's possible, but ask your self do you want to enjoy a Buell? Or do you want to enjoy a Buell project? Either answer is acceptable, but if you'd rather just enjoy a Buell then;
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...als-Of-the-DAY!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast