Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a spec ops exhaust? Or was I mislead?

Three major give-a ways if you are trying to determine if your XB muffler is stock, is how many exit tips it has, how long it is and how loud it is. OEM mufflers will always have one exit port aimed toward the left side. The port will be coming out of the rear most side of the muffler, not directly out of the back of the muffler. The exit tip will protrude about 2-3 inches and aim to the side, or it will be a slightly longer exit tip that bends and aims toward the rear like on the Long and Uly. The muffler will be very long, and pretty close to the rear tire. Modified OEM exhausts are chopped at the rear by about four inches, and custom aftermarket exhausts are shorter. The sound will be very muffled on an OEM set up and will only roar a little if you really twist the throttle hard.

On the 12s, if the servo, wiring, and/or actuator on the muffler are missing, that is another give away. it is also possible that even if the muffler has all the signs of an original muffler, it could be from another bike. That would be hard to determine if it is from an identical model, but easy if it is off a different model, e.g. A Xb12ss Long exhaust on an XB12 SCG.

Be aware that exhaust modification on a Buell is extremely common and when buying a used one, the exhaust is almost always modified.

Stock exhausts:
    2009-Buell-Lightning-XB12Scga.jpg2009-Buell-Lightning-XB12Ssb.jpg

Modified:
    drummer.jpgspec op.jpg

From left to right, Drummer, Buell Race muffler, OEM Xb 12ss/uly/stt muffler
    exhausts.jpg
    Last edited by GregoXB; 02-04-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Last edited by GregoXB; 02-04-2018 at 01:10 PM.

nope

From left to right, Drummer, Buell Race muffler, OEM Xb 12ss/uly/stt muffler
    exhausts.jpg

Thanks Greg, that's super helpful. Guess I may have some form of the Buell racing exhaust.

It's a bit louder than I'd like, and for me the bike has more than enough power currently. Think I can shove in a bunch of fiberglass muffler packing? I saw in other threads talk of finding stainless steel mesh, but that appears quite more expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12