Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a spec ops exhaust? Or was I mislead?

Is this a spec ops exhaust? Or was I mislead?

I just received this exhaust, seller claims it is a spec ops exhaust and that the previous owner repaired the bottom. Because of the repair I've been suspicious of its genuinity. I have no idea what the inside of a legit spec ops exhaust is to compare to what I have, I hope someone can shed some light on this for me. Also my bike is a 09 xb12scg, with it being originally a xb9 muffler I know I will have to do the actuator bypass. I'm curious as to whether I need to get the race ecm because it's going on a xb12. P_20180202_185807.jpgP_20180202_185906.jpgP_20180202_185932.jpgP_20180202_190205.jpgP_20180202_190438.jpg

I am the seller and it is a Spec Ops that was repaired by previous owner. I don't know why it was repaired, but was told that it was purchased new from Odie at Spec Ops.

Thanks oh9bolt, knowing you are a active member of buellxb I'm at ease. I would like to say my apologies, for I don't mean to offend, just not much information online about this pipe and too many bad buys on my end as of late.

My muffler looks exactly like that one, at least externally. Do I not have a stock one then?

Mine looks completely empty on the inside, I don't even see two internal pipes. Should there be some packing inside?
    Except for the welded top plate at the front end, I don't see any indication that it has been hacked apart.

I got my bike from the local shop, and they don't know much about its previous history.

I'm continuing my Buell education. Are the Spec Ops and Hawk just modified versions of the stock muffler?

The aftermarket XB 12 Spec Ops muffler, retains the function of the OEM exhaust servo that sits on top of the inner air box and is wired to the OEM butterfly valve that resides inside the muffler. The XB9 Spec Op (and OEM XB 9 exhaust set up) does not utilize a servo or an internal butterfly valve, so essentially it is just a gutted stock muffler.

If you are going to put the 9 Spec Op on a 12, you are going to have to do tuning, delete the servo + wiring, and delete the exhaust code on the ECM that will pop up when you disconnect the servo. Probably a custom tune would be best, but an OTS map for an XB12 Drummer or Hawk would probably be pretty close.

Hawk 9/12 - gutted stock muffler with some welded dividers inside to increase back pressure.
    Spec Op 9 - gutted stock muffler
    Spec Op 12 - gutted stock muffler and keeps the OEM butterfly valve inside.
    Drummer 9/12- Gutted stock muffler with some packing
    Drummer SS 9/12 - Custom stainless steel muffler with packing
    Dean Adams RT XB1 9/12- Custom dual exhaust
    Dean Adam XB 2 9/12- Uses a Magna flow muffler
    D&D 9/12- custom dual exhaust
    Jardine 9/12- Custom single exhaust with packing
    Buell Race Muffler 9/12 - Custom hollow exhaust with a chamber in the back

I had a XB 12 and the cable was broke down at the valve, and it worked fine, no cel, I am guessing when the was enough pressure it opened. So another option could be keep the servo wired but un hook the cable when using a 9 Spec on a XB12.

That's pretty much what mine looks like except, it still has the valve, and you bought it from a very reputable seller, as you already know !

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    The aftermarket XB 12 Spec Ops muffler, retains the function of the OEM exhaust servo that sits on top of the inner air box and is wired to the OEM butterfly valve that resides inside the muffler. The XB9 Spec Op (and OEM XB 9 exhaust set up) does not utilize a servo or an internal butterfly valve, so essentially it is just a gutted stock muffler.

If you are going to put the 9 Spec Op on a 12, you are going to have to do tuning, delete the servo + wiring, and delete the exhaust code on the ECM that will pop up when you disconnect the servo. Probably a custom tune would be best, but an OTS map for an XB12 Drummer or Hawk would probably be pretty close.

Hawk 9/12 - gutted stock muffler with some welded dividers inside to increase back pressure.
    Spec Op 9 - gutted stock muffler
    Spec Op 12 - gutted stock muffler and keeps the OEM butterfly valve inside.
    Drummer 9/12- Gutted stock muffler with some packing
    Drummer SS 9/12 - Custom stainless steel muffler with packing
    Dean Adams RT XB1 9/12- Custom dual exhaust
    Dean Adam XB 2 9/12- Uses a Magna flow muffler
    D&D 9/12- custom dual exhaust
    Jardine 9/12- Custom single exhaust with packing
    Buell Race Muffler 9/12 - Custom hollow exhaust with a chamber in the back
    Thank you for this, very informative. This will help a lot of people who purchase a used exhaust to validate authenticity. I've been looking into the Bluetooth dongles, specifically the buelltooth and ecmcables. Curious, do you have any experience or preference for either?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    I had a XB 12 and the cable was broke down at the valve, and it worked fine, no cel, I am guessing when the was enough pressure it opened. So another option could be keep the servo wired but un hook the cable when using a 9 Spec on a XB12.
    Interesting, so the ecm doesn't recieve feedback from the butterfly valve?

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    My muffler looks exactly like that one, at least externally. Do I not have a stock one then?

Mine looks completely empty on the inside, I don't even see two internal pipes. Should there be some packing inside?
    Except for the welded top plate at the front end, I don't see any indication that it has been hacked apart.

I got my bike from the local shop, and they don't know much about its previous history.

I'm continuing my Buell education. Are the Spec Ops and Hawk just modified versions of the stock muffler?
    That's what I was thinking as well, felt like something was missing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast