Thread: Going to look at an 08 1125R

Going to look at an 08 1125R

I'm Joey aka Katsunaka (Kat Sue Naka). I'm going to look at an 08 1125R tomorrow. Registered to be able to read some attachments and so on.

Bike has 6000 miles, a Jardine RT5 muffler and the lower fairings. It's clutch lever isn't building pressure, and it's current owner is selling it because Buell isn't his thing. If I get it tomorrow, this will be my first Buell, and I think the best looking one.
    It's a black with blue frame bike.

I'm going to look at maybe bleeding and filling the clutch slave cylinder to see if I can fix it for free. If not, I'm going to look further. Was told a few things to look out for such as the drive belt, fork seals, cooling leakage(if any), starter motor engagement and if the bike goes into 1st and back into neutral without the clutch. Was told if it does that, its hydraulic related, if it doesn't it's the actual clutch.
    Got an ebay watch list full of parts that hopefully don't need ordered, but just in case, I got a list of parts that I can have relatively quickly.

Currently own an 01 GSXR 750, don't ask, I'm tired of it, its issues and overall Jap bike problems. At this point I'm tired of googling GSXR problems.

Was drawn into Buells because not alot of people around me have them. I think I'd be the only 1125R running around my area. At least that I've seen.
    If theres anything else I need to look at or be aware of, let me know. Been bugging a riding buddy about it, since he's the only Buell guy I know. He owns an 1190RX and XB12.

If I get it, you'll get to see pics of an old beat up chevy truck hauling a Buell.

Congrats on the new Buell! And welcome to the forum
    Bleeding a clutch is really straight forward, the specifics can be found in the service manual.
    The service manual can be found at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com
    It might be dry because the 1125's are known for "clutch weep" where the slave cylinder at the clutch needs to be upgraded (cheaply).
    It's one of the very few problems the 1125's are known for. They are super simple and super reliable and super fun!!

Yea, was plan on taking some DOT4 and a small tool kit to see if I could fix it. Would rather have it help me load it than to just pick it up and load it.

Seller is throwing in a set of stands that the bike has been sitting on.
    I dont want to fix it until after I give him cash. Dont want to make him realize it was a simple fix then try to adjust price.

Ive already got the service manual, found it in another thread. If I got the bike, id be ordering a buelltooth. I see theres a downloadable ECU map for a k&n air filter and Jardine exhaust available.

Also been reading that 08 is the year to have. Id prefer a red one but at the price Im paying for this one, black and blue is fine with me.

The cheap upgrade, are you talking about the clutch actuator available http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store...inder-kit.html

If so, ill go ahead and order that. Was planning on changing all fluids, brake pads, installing a k&n, fixing my clutch issue, and cleaning the fuel system.

Seller told me bike sat for 2 years and he recommends doing a fuel system clean before riding it too much just for peace of mind.

Whenever I buy a bike, i give it a good once over to know what shape its systems are in. I know with this bike I might need to replace its tires before riding too.

Those are all good ideas

Sitting for 2 years isn't to worst thing I've heard today, but when a seller says that, he means 4. No worries, these bikes are bad bitches, and will be ok after you flush the fluids (especially oil, brake, and fork).

20180203_154218.jpg

There it is. 08 1125R with 7991 miles, paid $2500. It needs the slave cylinder replaced and a battery. Other than that, its in great shape. Decent pads, 3 year old Michelin Pilot Radials, good drive belt, good fork seals.

Ordered the battery already. Going to try to fill and bleed the slave cylinder(its what Im calling the reservoir at the lever) and see if that takes care of its problem. I could tell it wept away what it had it in. I could see the DOT4 ran down the clutch cover. See if I can fix it without parts. Pads have 50% life left(compared to EBC pads I ordered for my GSXR) tires have 1000 mile on them. Going to clean it's fuel system, drain and fill all fluids, give it a tune up with new plugs and coils/wires(whichever it uses) and install it's battery and battery tender. Then wait for a good day to let my neighbor know I got another bike in the garage.

Long story short, my neighbor hates bikes. He absolutely loves my GSXR already. He'll love this Buell more. It's ok though. I hate his ****ing ricer **** box civic.

you done good