Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 xb9sx locked up???

06 xb9sx locked up???

I have a 06 xb9sx that has been sitting in my in-laws garage. It was not cranked or started for the last three years. The battery was removed when it was parked. Now when the battery was reinstalled all the bike will do is click like a dead battery. I am attempting to jump start the bike without any luck. The clicking is a lot louder than the typical dead battery sound. I am wondering if there is a way to check the starter or engine to see if one or the other is locked up? I tried having it in gear and pushing it to see if the engine turns over but the back wheel just slides on the concrete when clutch lever released. As far as I know everything is stock and had regular maintenance when it was running. The bike currently had 8000 miles on the odometer.

Pull the plugs, put some oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a day or two; then try pushing it in gear with plugs OUT!

If you are trying to run start it, use 2nd or 3rd gear and sit hard on the seat right when you release the lever. It's still very hard to do with a high compression V-twin.

It's pretty easy to remove the 3 T27 bolts on the rear pulley cover and put a big socket on that nut. Put the rear on a stand, trans in high gear, and see if she'll spin.

A voltmeter and the manual (Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com for free) will let you diagnose it easily with none of this guessing stuff.

Inactive
    It was not cranked or started for the last three years.

allow me to add something here. be DAMN careful how you approach this situation or this cityX will be headed to Buell heaven.
    no mention of in-laws climate....oceanic proximity.....garage history of heavy condensation. i'm assuming here that the bike was NOT parked due to mechanical problem/serious breakage of an important component. if that is the case in all likelihood your rings are rusted fast to the cylinder walls. Joe7Bros suggestion spot-on. i would do this:
    1-remove both plugs and flood each cylinder with AeroKroil. it's called KanoKroil when in a liquid container...AeroKroil when in spray bomb. buy a bomb of AeroKroil. and no....WD-40 will not work.
    2-let sit in this condition for 24 hours. now get yourself a small floor jack and put a little square of plywood atop the lifting pad and towel atop the plywood. roll it under the rear of the STOCK muffler....keep bike on side-stand....jack and lift rear tire a few inches off the ground. shift bike into highest gear you can get it into....and now with someone steadying the bike so it does NOT roll off the jack...grab rear tire with both hands and try forcefully bumping it forward and backwards. no luck? repeat step #1 and try again the next day.
    this is the preferred method for a situation like this as the bikes' electric starter in conjunction with a fresh fully charged battery possesses enough force to break rings if they're in fact frozen fast to the cylinder walls.
    replace both plugs with NGK DCPR9EIX.

547caf1b-4662-4d3f-b60c-3e72467316c5_1.b406c7d57e4a90cdcb88a94638f05df8.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-04-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I was able to get it freed up using the suggestion above. It cranks really good now. I have used the AeroKroil products before and it is awesome stuff. The only problem I have now is that the fuel pump went bad from sitting. It doesn't turn on when switch is on and a light tap with a wooden hammer and it turns on and sounds horrible. So this coming weekend I am installing a new one.

Thats good. You need to drain and clean the tank/frame anyway as well as the entire fuel system. NO cheating!! lol.

I was planning on changing out the injectors as well. What is the best thing to use to clean / flush the tank? I plan on making this my daily rider so I wanna make it last.

Just flush the whole system. There shouldn't be a need to replace parts unnecessarily.

I would flush it with gas.

You might consider running some B-12 ChemTool through the system to clean out any vanish.

Nah man..... sea foam or leave it be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast