Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harley closing KC factory

my big gripe with harley's electric bike is, that at least the concept, is a great looking bike. Why can't they build a regular bike that looks that good? I mean like a street 750 power plant in that style bike might just sell better?

If you decide to own an electric motorcycle the first thing that you would need to do is own a second motorcycle so that you can hit the twisties on the weekends. For example, every year I go on several motorcycle off-the-grid camping trip excursions, that total about 400 miles a piece. That aint never gonna happen on batteries, or not until they get 200 mile highway range with a 5 minute full recharge at any station in the US. If I had to guess, they might achieve that in twenty years.

If you really do your research though, you might actually find that internal combustion engines are actually more friendly to the environment than batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    If Harley thinks an electric bike is a bridge to the next generation, they are dead wrong. The best current highway range offered with electric is ~100 miles with a 40-60 minute full recharge time, if you can find a station before losing juice. There is no way to describe that except for "awful." The battery tech and refueling support is simply not there yet and won't be there for another 10-20 years or longer.... if ever.....
    Actually I'd be shocked if that technology wasn't around in the next year or two. I know a couple people who own some of the newer Tesla Model Ss, they have a 300 mile range and will recharge in 30 minutes at a supercharger station. And that is with a MASSIVE battery pack that is needed to move the 5,000 pound Tesla around. So a much smaller battery pack to move a 500 pound motorcycle around would charge quickly and have a big range. In my opinion, all that is needed is a 200 mile range with a 10 minute or so charge time to match the range of a gas powered bike. Those numbers should be easily attainable with a similar battery/charger setup on a much smaller scale. If one of the electric bike manufcaturers isn't already offering this, they soon will.

Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    Actually I'd be shocked if that technology wasn't around in the next year or two. I know a couple people who own some of the newer Tesla Model Ss, they have a 300 mile range and will recharge in 30 minutes at a supercharger station. And that is with a MASSIVE battery pack that is needed to move the 5,000 pound Tesla around. So a much smaller battery pack to move a 500 pound motorcycle around would charge quickly and have a big range. In my opinion, all that is needed is a 200 mile range with a 10 minute or so charge time to match the range of a gas powered bike. Those numbers should be easily attainable with a similar battery/charger setup on a much smaller scale. If one of the electric bike manufcaturers isn't already offering this, they soon will.
    I don't know where you are getting your information from but if you go on Tesla's website and utilize their charging estimator, you will see that a full recharge (250 - 300 miles) at a super station takes anywhere from 60 minutes to 75 minutes. That's if you find a charging station in time. Don't miss that exit and I hope they have good food. As far as motorcycle goes, just check out Zero's website, the leader in electric motorcycles, the best estimated highway range with maximum power tanks equipped is 97 miles with a 1 hour, 80 mile super-recharge time.... and honestly where are you going to find a super charging station in the middle of nowhere? Your trips will literally be from charging station to charging station. Most electric vehicle owners own a second gas powered vehicle FYI.

As far as real world highway mileage, much factors in. Speed, incline, surface gradient, wind resistance, GPS use, and of course Heating/Air Conditioning. Going 80 mph in 20F degree weather with some wind gusts, with GPS and heating on, up to the mountains for a weekend ski trip.... expect more like 150 miles highway on a Tesla with the best battery packs equipped. On a motorcycle, 70F weather, with your smart phone mounted, up through Cherohala Skway into the Deals Gap.... mmmm expect more like 80 miles highway..... I hope you got roadside assistance.....

Just add the pedal powered recharging system and... oh wait, I had one of this when I was 8 years old, I called it a Schwinn

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    I don't know where you are getting your information from but if you go on Tesla's website and utilize their charging estimator, you will see that a full recharge (250 - 300 miles) at a super station takes anywhere from 60 minutes to 75 minutes. That's if you find a charging station in time. Don't miss that exit and I hope they have good food. As far as motorcycle goes, just check out Zero's website, the leader in electric motorcycles, the best estimated highway range with maximum power tanks equipped is 97 miles with a 1 hour, 80 mile super-recharge time.... and honestly where are you going to find a super charging station in the middle of nowhere? Your trips will literally be from charging station to charging station. Most electric vehicle owners own a second gas powered vehicle FYI.

As far as real world highway mileage, much factors in. Speed, incline, surface gradient, wind resistance, GPS use, and of course Heating/Air Conditioning. Going 80 mph in 20F degree weather with some wind gusts, with GPS and heating on, up to the mountains for a weekend ski trip.... expect more like 150 miles highway on a Tesla with the best battery packs equipped. On a motorcycle, 70F weather, with your smart phone mounted, up through Cherohala Skway into the Deals Gap.... mmmm expect more like 80 miles highway..... I hope you got roadside assistance.....
    Respectfully, I'll trust my real world experience over what was read on the website. Rode with a buddy who has a brand new Model S. Battery down to 10%. Stopped at a super charging station for UNDER 30 minutes, grabbed some Subway, and hopped back in the car and it had 75% charge, for free I might add. That 75% charge was good for 200 miles. And again, that is with the MASSIVE batteries needed to tote the overweight Tesla around. So with a MUCH smaller battery that is needed in an electric motorcycle and similar charging technology, it's hard to imagine that we WOULDN"T have an electric bike with a 200 mile range and a 30 minute charge time within the next year or so.

There are two Tesla dealerships where I live (Kansas City, MO) and there are electric vehicle charging stations at every major grocery store. Heck, my work has 20 electric vehicle charging stations.

Although I respect what Zero does, they are hardly pushing the limits of what an electric bike could do. With MOTO-E becoming a legitimate racing series in the near future (I believe the official race series starts in 2019, but they will be doing exhibition races and testing this year) racing on the MotoGP circuits, it's only a matter of time before all the big money developers in that series start expanding the technology in the electric motorcycle segment which inevitably is passed down to the production bikes.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I will probably ALWAYS prefer an internal combustion engine. Both the sound and the feel. But I RESPECT the technology that is starting to really hit it's stride in electric vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    Respectfully, I'll trust my real world experience over what was read on the website. Rode with a buddy who has a brand new Model S. Battery down to 10%. Stopped at a super charging station for UNDER 30 minutes, grabbed some Subway, and hopped back in the car and it had 75% charge, for free I might add. That 75% charge was good for 200 miles. And again, that is with the MASSIVE batteries needed to tote the overweight Tesla around. So with a MUCH smaller battery that is needed in an electric motorcycle and similar charging technology, it's hard to imagine that we WOULDN"T have an electric bike with a 200 mile range and a 30 minute charge time within the next year or so.

There are two Tesla dealerships where I live (Kansas City, MO) and there are electric vehicle charging stations at every major grocery store. Heck, my work has 20 electric vehicle charging stations.

Although I respect what Zero does, they are hardly pushing the limits of what an electric bike could do. With MOTO-E becoming a legitimate racing series in the near future (I believe the official race series starts in 2019, but they will be doing exhibition races and testing this year) racing on the MotoGP circuits, it's only a matter of time before all the big money developers in that series start expanding the technology in the electric motorcycle segment which inevitably is passed down to the production bikes.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I will probably ALWAYS prefer an internal combustion engine. Both the sound and the feel. But I RESPECT the technology that is starting to really hit it's stride in electric vehicles.
    You can spin it anyway you want, but the truth is that, presently, an all electric vehicle, whether it be a car or motorcycle, does not have anywhere near the versatility of an internal combustion vehicle. You say the technology will be ready next year. Tesla has been saying the technology would be ready now, five years ago, and they have only marginally improved their range since then.

U said charged for free. Nothing is free. You can bet taxpayers are paying for that "free" charge.

"Taxpayers" actually pay for absolutely everything so....

You both are right in certain respects. One of you is hopeful for technological advancements, the other sees real world 'older' tech on the roads today. There is a place for electric vehicles today, proven by the amount of Priuses that try to kill me daily on the highway. There will be a place for them tomorrow too. Whether you personally need them is up to you and your lifestyle.
    I won't be looking for a 1-ton electric pick-up to tow my trailer, nor do I forsee needing an electric motorcycle. Honestly I don't need a motorcycle at all. But that is exactly my point.

LMAO, a 1 ton electric pickup truck, now that would be a site! You're right Cooter, certain cars fit certain people. Prius's are actually all hybrids though, not pure electric. Not one major car company is scrambling to put together an all electric vehicle to compete with Tesla. They are not threatened at all because they have done the market research and they know all electric will not go mainstream any time soon. Personally, I think hybrid is the future or combustion engines that will get 100 mpg.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast