Thread: 1125R: Couple Questions and an update

1125R: Couple Questions and an update

First the questions

1) Check engine light/Service Now - Bike has 7992 miles on it. Did an oil change (20w50 Amsoil Synthetic). Didn't throw the check engine light until after the oil change was done. When it starts, says Service Now.
    Any clues? Or do i need some kinda buelltooth/ecmspy to actually get a code

2)
    Low fuel light wont turn off. Bike is full of fuel. Just ignore it, or could there be a deeper issue?

3) Bike has a sticker for a BDDFI-III Tuner. Previous owner said he couldn't find it. Is there anywhere it could be hidden. I checked the left radiator pod and didn't see any additional non OEM appearing wiring by the ECU. I pulled the tail fairing off to replace the battery and didn't see anything back there. Any other places to look?

4) Just a simple, I've got a black 1125R with the blue frame. Just curious to know what the colors are actually called by Buell.

Onto the updates

Got my 1125R to move under its own power. Started with the easiest fix. A fill and bleed of the clutch. I'm happy I finally got to ride it.
    I cleaned her up and pulled off it's lower fairings to start the sticker removal.
    I noticed this 1125R's front end feels really light. A friend who has an EBR said that's just Vtwin torque. I'm used to Jap bikes. This Buell is my first bike over 1000cc. My previous bike was a GSXR 750.

Now I need to register it, and get my GSXR plates transferred to the Buell. I officially have more pictures of this Buell(owned it for 2 days) than I do of my GSXR. At least now I have a purty bike to take pictures of.

The service manual is still at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com. It's free, so download it and read it.

The low fuel light sensor is on the fuel pump assembly, inside the frame. Easy to diagnose, and easy to change if it's bad.

It's easy to 'tune' the DDFI-3 system to match the intake and exhaust mods you have. Check out Buelltooth.com for a how to, if you are so inclined. An add-on tuner box would be obvious.

Should be in the owners manual. Or google it.

Yep, the front is really light and you have about 20ft/lbs more torque but importantly, the peak comes in at a drastically lower RPM. I think it's at 8k vs, 11,500 rpm as well as being significantly higher where you actually ride the bike (5-6k). Compare the torque graphs between the two bikes and you'll see what they mean by 'under the curve'.
    V-twin FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Katsunaka View Post
    First the questions

1) Check engine light/Service Now - Bike has 7992 miles on it. Did an oil change (20w50 Amsoil Synthetic). Didn't throw the check engine light until after the oil change was done. When it starts, says Service Now.
    Any clues? Or do i need some kinda buelltooth/ecmspy to actually get a code

Hold both buttons on the instrument cluster to get into the diagnostic mode. Scroll through until you find the service counter reset.

2) Low fuel light wont turn off. Bike is full of fuel. Just ignore it, or could there be a deeper issue?

Resistor on the pump is failing or has totally failed. Keep track of mileage (look for a gas station by about 130 miles) or pull the fuel pump and repair/replace it.

3) Bike has a sticker for a BDDFI-III Tuner. Previous owner said he couldn't find it. Is there anywhere it could be hidden. I checked the left radiator pod and didn't see any additional non OEM appearing wiring by the ECU. I pulled the tail fairing off to replace the battery and didn't see anything back there. Any other places to look?

Never used it, always used IDS programmable ecm's for the last few years personally. It may not actually be on the bike.

4) Just a simple, I've got a black 1125R with the blue frame. Just curious to know what the colors are actually called by Buell.

It's diamond blue, the story behind it is (and yes, I got a response from Erik just last night about this) was that it took over 20 years to get this particular design out the door and into the light of day. The color scheme is from him getting beaten black-n-blue until he finally got it done.

Onto the updates

Got my 1125R to move under its own power. Started with the easiest fix. A fill and bleed of the clutch. I'm happy I finally got to ride it.
    I cleaned her up and pulled off it's lower fairings to start the sticker removal.
    I noticed this 1125R's front end feels really light. A friend who has an EBR said that's just Vtwin torque. I'm used to Jap bikes. This Buell is my first bike over 1000cc. My previous bike was a GSXR 750.

Now I need to register it, and get my GSXR plates transferred to the Buell. I officially have more pictures of this Buell(owned it for 2 days) than I do of my GSXR. At least now I have a purty bike to take pictures of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Yep, the front is really light and you have about 20ft/lbs more torque but importantly, the peak comes in at a drastically lower RPM. I think it's at 8k vs, 11,500 rpm as well as being significantly higher where you actually ride the bike (5-6k). Compare the torque graphs between the two bikes and you'll see what they mean by 'under the curve'.
    V-twin FTW!
    I think the highest RPM i saw was like 4k. I shouldn't have been riding but I couldnt resist it.

It's easy to 'tune' the DDFI-3 system to match the intake and exhaust mods you have. Check out Buelltooth.com for a how to, if you are so inclined. An add-on tuner box would be obvious.
    Do I need to do anything to the bike, beyond plugging in the Buelltooth and going from there?
    Also do you know where this "diagnostic port" is that I would plug this unit into?

Weren't you looking for a stock mirror? Just posted:
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1517872833

Dean is right, the IDS ECM is by FAR the easiest and idiot proof way to get the right program, Unless it's already on the bike? Does your ECM happen to say "Race ECM" on it? Still no guarantee its the right one (Or the right program...)

The diagnostic port is the 4 pin connector near the ECM, left side radiator pod. Check their website for step-by-step instructions, videos, etc. Much easier than anyone spoon feeding it to you here.

Dean: That is a GREAT story about the colors! Erik has a thing with attrition

Weren't you looking for a stock mirror? Just posted:
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1517872833

Dean is right, the IDS ECM is by FAR the easiest and idiot proof way to get the right program, Unless it's already on the bike? Does your ECM happen to say "Race ECM" on it? Still no guarantee its the right one (Or the right program...)

The diagnostic port is the 4 pin connector near the ECM, left side radiator pod. Check their website for step-by-step instructions, videos, etc. Much easier than anyone spoon feeding it to you here.

Dean: That is a GREAT story about the colors! Erik has a thing with attrition
    Yea I was looking. But I gave up. Don't wanna pay for the left mirror when I can go with the yamaha turn signals and bar ends for half the price. I think I'll just see if anyone needs my right and go from there.
    Only reason I'm leaning towards Buelltooth is they offer a tune thats meant for the Jardine RT5 exhaust and K&N intake, both of which I have. Plus the Buelltooth gives me other functionality too which I like.

I've noticed the only way to get a black/blue 1125R is to get an 08. The red one is the one I would have really wanted but the only one in a reasonable distance around me was too expensive for it's mileage. Think the guy had it for like $4500 bucks and it had like 21k miles on it. When other color combos are being sold for 3500-4000 with 10k and under mileage.

I picked mine up because it had issues. And recently, my bike purchases are all the "issues" kind. I'm mechanically inclined, have access to all kinds of tools, internet saavy and the motivation to do it. When the riding season kicks off around me, I'm selling my garage of bikes. Got 4 bikes that'll be for sale. 01 GSXR 750 (my old bike), 08 Sportster 1200, 2002 R1, and the one I secretly wanna keep, a 2003 ZX7R. Bought them all(except the gsxr) with issues, fixed them all, made em all look decent, and now they're waiting for their new homes. To pay for my Buell addiction.

Just read the OhioSportBikes exhaust shootout PDF and really really want that CES muffler they showed a pic of. But it appears thats made of unicorn hair, because I can't find anything on it beyond a few threads of guys wanting it like me.

The ces exhaust was supposed to make big numbers, it just didn't produce what was expected. Looks neat, sounded ok, meh for performance.

EB commented on the latest 1125 rebuild/project.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    The ces exhaust was supposed to make big numbers, it just didn't produce what was expected. Looks neat, sounded ok, meh for performance.

EB commented on the latest 1125 rebuild/project.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    I see you painted your exhaust, judging by some of the other 1125R pics you have. Is that a 2 into 1 header?

I just like the way it looks. Although I haven't heard another 1125R in person with a different exhaust. I just think it fits the bike. It's not like my Jardine where it looks jap bike ish, but looks american.

It's not paint, I ceramic coated it. The rest of the exhaust will get the same treatment once I make it.