Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Frenchy on a XB12S

Red face A Frenchy on a XB12S

Hi guys,

I hope you guys are doing fine today! I am new to this forum and happy to be there. It's been years that I've wanted a Buell - actually there are only been 2 motorcycles I ever wanted: Suzuki SV (which I had, a 2003, N model) and Buell Lightning either XB9 or 12. Now that I'm back in the US (I am French, I used to live in California couple years ago then moved back to Europe for a bit), I really wanted to go full local and finally tick that box on my bucket list: riding a Buell.

It's almost done as I found a Lightning XB12S in my neighborhood. It's from 2005 and I'll pick it up tomorrow evening. It seems pretty okay for what I've seen. The front fork needs some attention (some oil leak, but nothing major), the yearly oil change is due and some aesthetic details need to be taken care of (such as the right rear mirror which is not properly attached, some corrosion on some minor accessories, etc.).

The actual owner has had it for 5 years and put 10,000 miles on it. He didn't run into any particular issues outside of the regular maintenance, and put some nice adds on such as the Jardine exhaust in 2016 (btw, Jardine is a hilarious name for a French, it literally means "garden" in my native tongue!).

The battery was changed in 2014 and the full spark plugs, wires, and ignition coil were changed a few weeks ago. Last, but not least, the tires are from 2016. The bike has marks from a fall - a stopped fall because of how localized and minor traces are. Funny fact, it's only after this fall that the previous owner decided to install some dummy bars on the side - a bit too late!

During the test drive, it felt very healthy despite my lack of experience on American motorcycles. The clutch is firm, but smooth, the gears engage without any issues, the breaks are doing OK, but I definitely need new pads (felt a bit mellow to me, especially the front). The cornering feels safe, a bit heavy but with such a massive engine I would assume it needs more speed for stability.

Overall, no weird noises I could detect and a behave that seem - at least of the best of my knowledge - okay.

From there, it's going to be a project bike. I do not need to drive every day (which is a blessing in LA) and I just want to enjoy riding it as much as working on it to take good care of it.

I know there's a potential shortage of parts in the future (HD will be done with it by 2020 in my understanding) but I am not so worried about it. I used to rebuild old BMW (my other big crush in life) from the 80s and I've never had so much trouble finding what I needed outside of BMW's network (which still today has most of the parts, but makes you pay gold for them). I know there's a strong community that is keeping the Buell brand alive and that's also the reason why I wanted a XB for a while.

From there, I'll share as much as I can about the new life of this XB12S and I hope I'll find all the information I need in this forum. In the meantime, if you guys have any recommendation, questions, advice or anything to say, feel free: I'm looking forward to discussing with you!

Cheers,

Max.

PS: I've attached the pictures from the actual owner

00S0S_ldHeH53ynWI_1200x900.jpg00h0h_6OkOG1Ki72Z_1200x900.jpg00303_dydcX3vVXTd_1200x900.jpg00606_azkgUfMoSoK_1200x900.jpg00202_gQi9PW2fDYs_1200x900.jpg
    Last edited by herwawan; 02-11-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Welcome to buellxb.com!

Just a FYI that is a SCG which is a low model. It is ~1.5 inches lower than the standard height S/R models.

^^^^ as the Bolt pointed out , SCG a very desirable model!

Quote Originally Posted by oh9bolt View Post
    Just a FYI that is a SCG which is a low model. It is ~1.5 inches lower than the standard height S/R models.
    Ha, that is good to know, thanks! I just checked the VIN and indeed, it is. Mmh I'm 6"2 but it did not feel too tiny (I'm tall, but not big - rather skinny). Still I like to know these things before I spend the money haha

Also by checking the VIN, I realized this is not a "California Engine" (Code 14 and not 59). I know California has pretty tough pollution restrictions, should there be any problem with that? The current title is already in California for information.

Quote Originally Posted by herwawan View Post
    Ha, that is good to know, thanks! I just checked the VIN and indeed, it is. Mmh I'm 6"2 but it did not feel too tiny (I'm tall, but not big - rather skinny). Still I like to know these things before I spend the money haha

Also by checking the VIN, I realized this is not a "California Engine" (Code 14 and not 59). I know California has pretty tough pollution restrictions, should there be any problem with that? The current title is already in California for information.
    Welcome to the circus ! 6'2" is tall for a SCG , you might want full frame STT ? just a thought. A CA bike just has a Charcoal canister on the left side which most of us CA guys take off and plug the vacuum port at the TB.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 02-12-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Welcome to the circus ! 6'2" is tall for a SCG , you might want full frame STT ? just a thought. A CA bike just has a Charcoal canister on the left side which most of us CA guys take off and plug the vacuum port at the TB.
    Thanks! And good information for the CA specific item. I guess since it already has a CA title, I shouldn't be too worried about not having it - especially if it is usually removed.

Regarding the size, you make a good point. It's weird because I did not feel so tall on it (I've spent some days last week playing around with a Honda GROM, THAT was small haha!). I guess without trying a taller version, I've got not chance understanding the difference.

My knees fit perfectly the frame - I even have some room) and I only noticed the gear shift being a bit "behind" my habits - also I assumed it was just the profile of the bike. On the trip I made, I was pretty happy about the small factor to be honest haha!

Don't worry I am 6'1 and I ride a Firebolt with CG suspension. I am comfortable on the bike and that's all that matters, who cares if you look big on it.

Hey Frenchie, Bienvenue sur le forum! Where in LA are you? I'm in El Segundo. Parts won't be a problem (or rare) for quite awhile, and the Buells are ridiculously dependable and low on maintenance once you catch up on the PO's slacking. If you love quirks, you are in the right place!.

Don't worry I am 6'1 and I ride a Firebolt with CG suspension. I am comfortable on the bike and that's all that matters, who cares if you look big on it.

Hey Bolt ,Great pic!!!!!!badass.gif

Dang! That looks cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Hey Frenchie, Bienvenue sur le forum! Where in LA are you? I'm in El Segundo. Parts won't be a problem (or rare) for quite awhile, and the Buells are ridiculously dependable and low on maintenance once you catch up on the PO's slacking. If you love quirks, you are in the right place!.
    Merci ! I'm around Palms/Culver City, so we're almost neighbors (sorry but not sure what "PO's slacking" haha - I don't get all local terms yet!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast