Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2008 buell lightening cityx xbsx with jardine gp1 exhaust is backfiring on idle

Really sounds like you have it handled and the bike is in good hands as well

I wish for lots of melty, melty, sun for you so you can get out there and really enjoy her Wheelies are just a right hand twist away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Really sounds like you have it handled and the bike is in good hands as well

I wish for lots of melty, melty, sun for you so you can get out there and really enjoy her Wheelies are just a right hand twist away.
    Thanks man and thanks to everyone on here! Wheelies with just a twist? Oh crap! I thought this was a really tame sport bike?

I feel a bit stupid for not just giving this backfire / pop issue time before posting on here but I'd never had a machine I purchase run and sound so horrible just after getting it home, so I kinda panicked. I was going to go back on the dealer and insist on crediting me some of that dealer prep fee because of all the troubleshooting I thought I was going to be doing.

I am still planning the ECM analysis to see if anything comes up and to see if it should be remapped for the muffler.

Also I am really leaning towards getting a stock muffler back on this thing with maybe a hawk performance repack--that guy seems to know how to improve the stock muffler. I'll definitely ride it with the current setup just to see how it behaves. I'll have to read through these forums and see what I can learn.

Do you think I should attempt removing the carbon fiber to look for surprises?

I'm definitely proud to be a part of the Buell community! I've been watching tons of videos about Erik Buell. Wish he could find his way back to building bikes!

They aren't on par with new sport bikes for HP... or RPM... but you'll smile like a Cheshire cat and won't give a damn when all them torques try to pull the bars out of your hands. These are a different animal from anything else I know

No worries. It's never "stupid" to ask for help from an experienced crew. In fact, it's the smartest thing you could do. You are obviously not an idiot, and thank you for being humble, its rare these days. Today, people think they need to know everything about everything, all the time. (Thanks Google, haha)

Good plan

Both are good options. Check out Drummer too for a stock looking mellow tone from a guy who really G.A.S. and supports the cause. I had one on the STT and loved the sound, not loud but throaty. Youtube is also full of comparo vids (but all with crappy iPhone mics. Dean at Keda makes some sick exhaust, cool vids, and I think the most power, but LOUD. Jardine are known to blow up.

Careful what you look for... you may find it.

I'm a big fan of Erik as well, I think we all are. He really put his heart and literally everything he had into these bikes and the EBR's.

They aren't on par with new sport bikes for HP... or RPM... but you'll smile like a Cheshire cat and won't give a damn when all them torques try to pull the bars out of your hands. These are a different animal from anything else I know

No worries. It's never "stupid" to ask for help from an experienced crew. In fact, it's the smartest thing you could do. You are obviously not an idiot, and thank you for being humble, its rare these days. Today, people think they need to know everything about everything, all the time. (Thanks Google, haha)

Good plan

Both are good options. Check out Drummer too for a stock looking mellow tone from a guy who really G.A.S. and supports the cause. I had one on the STT and loved the sound, not loud but throaty. Youtube is also full of comparo vids (but all with crappy iPhone mics. Dean at Keda makes some sick exhaust, cool vids, and I think the most power, but LOUD. Jardine are known to blow up.

I'm a big fan of Erik as well, I think we all are. He really put his heart and literally everything he had into these bikes and the EBR's.
    Thanks again! What a great bunch of people! I always try to share my experience and sometimes my opinion too but I'm always respectful and try keep an open mind; I never know when I might learn something.

I'm looking forward to some fun adventures this season on the Buell and I share many adventures when I can (I'm kind of a social media junkie bc a lot of my family and friends are out of state).

Hopefully more fun techie conversation on here again sometime soon!

James, I just watched all 3 of your posted videos. Aside from the first one taking overly long to start, the motorcycle sounds to be running perfectly, unless I'm just not hearing the "backfires" you are describing. All in all it sounds to be in perfect health from what I can tell over the vid my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by CRSole View Post
    TI think this bike was originally "kick ash", but it'll be really costly to replace the plastic to original
    I bought a flat-black painted city-x and discovered (when i had the airbox cover off to change plugs because they were fouled by PO... sound familiar?) that a scratched bit of the plastics glowed "cherry bomb" red.

I used lacquer thinner to strip the paint, which DID produce some crazing. BUT i was able to sand down thru the crazing and get it to this point (where i discovered i was not diligent enough sanding thru steps of fine-grit paper.... it's on my list to re-do to get it clear as glass). But it's "good enough" to match my helmet, which i bought with the idea of buying NOS cherry bomb parts. I may still buy some NOS parts but not put them on the bike, because hey, they don't make them anymore, and it's pretty simple to swap out "show" parts for "show" days and ride with "good enough" parts most days....

grips.jpg

New member and damn glad to be here!

Good plan

^ This post instantly struck a chord w/ me and is why I joined. Buell motorcycles are totally different than ANYTHING else on the road, including cars and < thats the reason why I'm buying one.

Now we know who to blame for being stuck with you..

Just kidding, welcome to the forum, enjoy your Buell !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234