Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2008 buell lightening cityx xbsx with jardine gp1 exhaust is backfiring on idle

Wow thanks! I hadn't seen the spark plug cleaning feature procedure! That's impressive.

9's are what you want, pull the boots and use a box - open for the front extension - wobbly for the rear.

Also just to clarify I was only making a point of environment changes when I called the ECM primitive, 08 and up is DDFI3 and are more sophisticated than 03 - 07's DDFI2 ECM. You bike incorporates more data resolution and sensors. If it was me I'd perform those linked resets then if it will at least idle I'd let it idle up to operating temperature to get a better idea if it is working itself out. Even if you have an exhaust leak you shouldn't be causing any real harm (idling) unless you start revving it up in the RPM's leading to burning up the exhaust valves.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    Also just to clarify I was only making a point of environment changes when I called the ECM primitive, 08 and up is DDFI3 and are more sophisticated than 03 - 07's DDFI2 ECM. You bike incorporates more data resolution and sensors. If it was me I'd perform those linked resets then if it will at least idle I'd let it idle up to operating temperature to get a better idea if it is working itself out. Even if you have an exhaust leak you shouldn't be causing any real harm (idling) unless you start revving it up in the RPM's leading to burning up the exhaust valves.
    Ok thanks. Yes it starts up just fine but pops or explodes out of the exhaust really loud periodically. I let it idle and warm up for like 15 minutes after it'd been in heated garage and on battery tender overnight.

Also I probably would have thought the same thing about the environmental change and a rough start but since I have an Iron 883 with EFI with a similar engine and it starts up pretty good anytime, I didn't think this would be a problem. I guess I kind of figured the EFI system would completely compensate for the detected conditions. However, I am completely new to the Buell XB, so I didn't realize they are more tempermental; plus it is about 8 years older than my Iron 883 and I have no idea if this bike has been sitting for a long time or had or has anything malfunctioning. I can tell you I looked over the engine pretty well and it is very clean with no oil anywhere, but I guess I didn't inspect the exhaust manifolds and heads that closely looking for cracks :-/ Thanks again and I hope I didn't get duped!

A simple phone recorded video from cold start to operating temperature would help as well, easily uploaded to youtube then just link it into this thread. This would help us all be on the same page as to how bad it is and help troubleshooting. Did you try again after those two procedures I linked?

No worries, keep in mind someone could have fiddled with the ECM already so simply checking or unchecking boxes could render the ECM's ability to adapt impossible. I'm more familiar with DDFI2 but a general rule is after resetting a parameter, say AFV, you would want to ride for at least 30min for the ECM to start making meaningful adjustments again. There are other parameters that go into allowing for the ECM to make adjustments like operating temperature, sampling EGO against the fuel tables, etc...

On the spark plugs, you could just pop the front boot off and see what plugs are already in there, the 9's are iridium and if they are already in you should be fine. I'd make sure they are tight at the same time though for sure, you aren't getting a torque wrench on them so keep in mind aluminum head and all... boots can be tricky to seat because of limited space but you should feel a distinct "click" when properly seated.

No worries, keep in mind someone could have fiddled with the ECM already so simply checking or unchecking boxes could render the ECM's ability to adapt impossible. I'm more familiar with DDFI2 but a general rule is after resetting a parameter, say AFV, you would want to ride for at least 30min for the ECM to start making meaningful adjustments again. There are other parameters that go into allowing for the ECM to make adjustments like operating temperature, sampling EGO against the fuel tables, etc...
    I will record a video later tonight and try to post it. True I really have no idea the state of this bike unfortunately. Makes me wonder why I paid $395 in dealer prep to Windy City HD / Triumph. I just got done sending email to them about that...after I made phone calls about the same last week. I just need to start troubleshooting but I don't get my buelltooth device until tomorrow sometime so best I can do is replace fuel, adding seafoam and changing spark plugs after that. Riding 30 miles is not possible due to snow covered roads :-/ Maybe I should hold off on all some of this until it can be ridden. I guess I could do the tps reset and spark cleaning procedures now if the fuel replace alone isn't the issue. I've gotta pick up a fuel extractor hose to do this. Thanks again!

There is a very convenient 1/8 male pipe plug in the base of the fuel pump assembly to drain the tank
    Left side of bike, bottom of frame, just in front of swingarm. You'll see the 4 bolt flange and fuel pump wires. The plug is the off-set one.
    But I imagine you put fresh fuel in during the 200 mile ride? Seafoam and such is nonsense (IMO). Proper injector cleaning requires removal, sonic cleaning, and testing. I don't believe you are to that point yet.

Remember what I posted about wasted time, effort, and money?

If your fuel injectors magically plugged themselves (or started leaking) the day after it ran fine for that long, it's possible but I'd be very, very, surprised.
    The ECM will correct for climate and altitude almost immediately. It doesn't take any external tuning to do that either. Still no need to get into tuning yet. because You have a problem that needs correcting. Looking at the AFV is a clue to what problem you have that the ECM is trying to correct for.

Lowkey is right. The PO is a mystery so there might be some monkeying with the ECM, such as a improper tuning locking out the self-adjusting properties of the ECM. Easy to check in the ECM peramters without adjusting anything once you get your Buelltooth in the mail.

I'm just trying to avoid this being a larger issue than you actually have. I'd like to see your Buell experience be the best, trouble free one you can have

This could simply be a matter of fouled plugs from an excited new owner starting it repeatedly in the garage without warming it up completely to show off a badass ride to his girlfriend....

Last edited by Cooter; 02-12-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast