Thread: 2009 XB12R Oil line question

2009 XB12R Oil line question

Last Friday while lane splitting my way home, I hit one of the raised lane markers and felt the back tire slip. I thought I had another flat, but when I looked down I saw oil all over my boots and then the oil pressure light came on. I had to maneuver my way off the road and then was able to kill the engine. There was oil everywhere and the engine was ticking badly. I got the bike towed home (even though I hate Nationwide insurance, they have a good roadside assistance policy and towing was free). I was just trying to figure out where the leak was when I found one of the oil lines had popped loose.

It is the Oil Cooler return line (#2 in the picture below) that came loose.

I was able to pop it back in, but I did some research and found that I should replace the clip in the connector that holds it in.

I cannot find a part number for this clip though, so does anyone know where I can get one? I have the service manual, but not the parts manual (which I also would like to purchase).

Also, any thoughts on the damage that might have occured? I killed the engine as soon as I poossibly could, but it was ticking really bad as I pulled out of traffic.

Yes, replace the fittings. I'd do them all if you can. Should be a standard size fitting, measure the hose/line next to the fitting, maybe something like 3/8" probably. Drain the oil before doing this job. The fittings wear from vibration, along with the clip, so replace as a pair.

As far as engine damage, You did the correct thing to kill the motor & tow it, other wise it would be toast, once you fill back with oil it should quite down. let us know once you do.

Looking for the fittings now. I checked the hose and there is no damage to the fitting on it, so I think it is OK. I am going to replace the entire fitting and grab a few spares. Once I clean the bike up, I will be able to check the rest of them to see if any are loose.

It looks like most of the oil was pumped out and it just kills me how far I had to drive before I could shut the engine off. Killing the engine in the middle of traffic would have probably killed me.

It's kind of ironic that I was just telling someone that I had had no issues with the bike in 8500 miles.

Oh well. I'll report back when I get things back together.

Thanks guys!

Inactive
    Also, any thoughts on the damage that might have occured? I killed the engine as soon as I poossibly could, but it was ticking really bad as I pulled out of traffic.

the ticking you heard was 1 or more valve lifters bleeding off from lack of pressurized oil being supplied to them. you have a roller bearing crank assembly which actually requires surprisingly little lubrication at light loads/moderate speeds. highly unlikely any damage was done.

I got the parts manual and have been trying to find the fittings local. Looks like none in stock in my area, so I will be off the Firebolt for a week or so.

The S3T is calling me longingly, but I'm still in a rented cage (piece of crap Hyundai) while the SO's car is being fixed. I thought it would be done today, otherwise I would have ridden the S3T.

Firebolt
    Thunderbolt

I have to think of a great name for my Sportster. Stump puller just doesn't fit.

Orangebolt? nah...