Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heads-up display for helmets

Heads-up display for helmets

I'm an electrical engineering grad, and I'm a relatively new rider (been riding about three years). In my spare time, I put together a heads-up display for my own personal use. By chance, I took the helmet with me to a motorcycle show last month, and a few people I met said I ought to think about selling it.

I only have one, so I'm not actually selling it, but I thought I'd share it with the community to get some thoughts on it.

The eyepiece displays text in your field-of-view, so you can always keep your eyes on the road. It’ll display your speed, or basic GPS navigation, or both. The HUD pairs via Bluetooth to a smartphone. It looks like this from the inside of the helmet:

All of the pieces are adjustable and they fit inside any helmet, so you can keep wearing the helmet that you know and like.

It works during the day, at night, and in the rain. All weather, all conditions.

As you can see, there is no frontal aerodynamic impact, because all of the pieces are tucked inside the helmet:

It charges with a standard Android charging cable:

As far as safety is concerned, the eyepiece is made out of a ballistics-grade composite. I wouldn’t depend on it to stop an actual bullet, but it’ll definitely hold up in even the most serious impacts.

The pieces are stuck inside the helmet with the same adhesive GoPros use. Once placed, the pieces are damn near impossible to remove. You can try to yank them out, hard, and they won't budge.

The kit doesn’t permanently alter the helmet (i.e. no holes get drilled or anything like that). Removing the adhesive would take some elbow grease, but it’s possible, so it wouldn’t be like you’d permanently maim your helmet to use the HUD.

So, what do you guys think? Do you see yourself buying one of these, if it were available?

Yes I would. As long as the price is right. I know there are a couple of helmets that have it built in bit they are thousands of dollars.

How would that mount with a modular helmet? Looks great.
    Matt

In the event of a crash, will that gouge out your eyes?

That is awesome that you are DIYing your own... The stuff I personally like to see is for navigation (turn direction, street name, distance, speed). As for concerns, most of the companies out there have issue with safety in the event of a crash. The lens should be something that is shatter resistant (perhaps multiple laminated layers to prevent shattering... spidercracking instead in the event of impact). Anything that close to your eyes would present some sort of danger in the event of a crash.

Looks cool, but whats the weight of the unit installed on the helmet? Is it a noticeable weight or not?

My helmet is already on the heavier side to begin with, plus my Sena and its stuff. I like, is it possible to interface with a Sena and have voice directions along with the heads up display.

I think it, very cool of you to, not only build your own but, also to want to share it with us. !

I would be interested in it for my helmet.

Not knowing anything about this tech stuff and for my own curiosity, would it be somehow possible to integrate the lens shown into the visor, meaning I send my visor to you to install it. I guess if your going to start selling them in a kit form, that would answer my question meaning, it wouldn't be practical ?

Quote Originally Posted by ocgreenmachine View Post
    That is awesome that you are DIYing your own... The stuff I personally like to see is for navigation (turn direction, street name, distance, speed). As for concerns, most of the companies out there have issue with safety in the event of a crash. The lens should be something that is shatter resistant (perhaps multiple laminated layers to prevent shattering... spidercracking instead in the event of impact). Anything that close to your eyes would present some sort of danger in the event of a crash.
    If it was shatter resistant, wouldn't that have the potential to be even more dangerous in the event of a crash? I.E. if it got dislodged and then wedged itself sideways between your eye sockets and the visor?

I would buy that... pm me a quote

Its a fantastic idea, and executed very well!
    I never wanted a Skully because I like to pick my own helmet and get a new one before it expires (not for $1300!).
    The Nuvis ($700) is ok, but I hate sticking another gadget on the chin of my helmet (and another controller). Along with my Sena, I look like I'm fighting Predators at night!
    The Crosshelmet X-1 is interesting, but once again a whole helmet and just a start-up right now.

I really like how yours is all internal in the helmet. That material would never break in a crash, and it's way too big to rotate and cut you either, I'd feel safe with it in there.
    I actually like the lack of map info too. The arrow and DTT is fine. I would like an option for tach instead of speed and rear camera but it doesn't look like your display would support a video feed?

Can you do a camera input? I could mount one on the bike and bluetooth the signal to it?
    How long does the battery last?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast